Growing Berries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Growing Berries

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:47 am

Here's a great idea to stop your blackberries, raspberries etc taking over your garden.

Punch several drainage holes into a 44 gallon drum and then place it on bricks before filling it with soil. Plant your berries around the edges of the drum. This will give you more access to your berries - you just walk around the drum as you pick them and also stops the berries sending up suckers throughout the garden.

Hope this helps someone

Penny

Email: rogerandpenny@bigpond.com
Time: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 00:52:01 UTC
Penny

Postby Marrion » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 pm

Gooseberries are lovely, Ben. I used to love picking them as a child in England in my grandfather's garden, and of course I was told that was where I came from "under the gooseberry bush" :lol: :lol:
They make lovely pies and there is also a recipe called "Gooseberry Fool" :lol:
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:02 pm

and jam too ben....Gooseberries are quinessentially Englsih so need a cool climate to grow ...hence shade ..they live naturally on the forest floor, shaded by taller trees. Pick them when they turn red though green ones too can be used for pies and jam.Very tart and very very yum.
I got one to stay alive for one year here but the Summer winds dessicated it .....it just couldn't survive no matter what I sheltered it with. Boo hoo :cry: when will I ever learn....my theme siong .
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Oh, kitkat, if you don't try, you don't know :wink:

Congratulations Ben - I'll be interested to know how it goes, as I'm sure I could find a little spot somewhere...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:49 am

I really like the idea of goosies in the backyard Ben! I've also thought about all those other berries and stuff - maybe I could line the back fence, but I will have to leave room for a passionfruit. I keep on looking at those 'special' berries in the fruitshop - they are so dear!!!! I wonder if it's okay to have different ones, if they cross pollinate or what???? :? :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:46 pm

Ok Guys ..a little Berry Lore from Kitkat....Blackberries,loganberries, raspberries and boysenberries etc...all grow from canes that multiply so you just cut them down each year after they fruit and they reshoot and multiply ...you don't need to take cuttings...just divide and plant .....as they come up wherever they like by underground runners.....so you CAN JUST MOVE THE SHOOTS TO WHERE YOU WANT THEM.
if you plant five raspberry plants this year ..next year you can effectively have ten ...or more...BUT they need to be planted when dormant in Winter ....Summer plantings are no good ...not even late Spring as they like to fruit and flower earlier than other fruits....you can often be picking raspberries at Christmas or New Year.I planted five raspberries in September this year but they didn't take.....too late I guess.Next year they will be in early Winter...to give them a good start.
Hope this helps a bit.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks for that klitkat. :D It's good in a way 'cos there's no way I'd get a garden in at the back fence for ages, so I'm happy to wait and anticipate.

So, does that mean that the berries (and currants, too, I imagine) don't cross-pollinate or drown each other out and that type of stuff? :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:32 am

My father in law grew several berry types in his orchard (Raspberries, Loganberries, Youngberries and wait for it :lol: Marionberries) without any problems at all and all were near to each other.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:08 am

I've heard of the others but not the Marionberry - please tell... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:40 pm

it's very similar to a Youngberry or Boysonberry and has a lovely flavour :D
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:31 pm

I was tempted to buy some berry bushes (canes??) earlier this year but knew I wouldn't get around to getting the ground ready (just about everything I get goes into rather 'fresh' ground...). I'd better do a bit of reading up - sounds like fun. They might help to hide the back fence - maybe even keep the kids over the fence from gawking over!!! :lol: (A big rose might do a better job... I've been told I can't have barbed wire...)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:11 pm

Marrion ...The Marrionberry was (I think) developed from a Youngberry/Raspberry hybrid and developed by Mrs Floate of Benalla...she wrote that famous old 1950s recipe Book Mrs Floates Secrets of Success.She was a keen exhibitor and judge in cookery and always recommended Marrionberries.I have never been able to find any for sale as plants or berries though...are they available in Tassie?

raspberries are the best behaved of the berry family they will send up sucker canes but don't get really unruly like blackberries ...though my youngberries always behaved fairly well the raspberries stayed in their rows nicely.You are right though Ben..... they do take quite a bit of pruning as you need to cut them down each season and keep weeds away whilst they grow again....it can be a pain.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:11 pm

Ben's Berry Shack ..I can see it now! :lol:
They grow best in Vic in Gippsland and the mountains like around Warburton and higher up,sometimes around Ballarat too ..depends on the soil/Rainfall there though ...think of English climate type places....Like tassie :lol: I used to grow a lot when I lived in Portland but it was a struggle in Summer with SW winds....winds are a no no in Summer for berries.Ho Hum and here I am in the Wimmera where the winds blows from the West in gales and from the North like a blast from a furnace.....!My windbreaks all seem to stuggle too! :( :( :? :?
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:03 pm

yes there isn't much in the cheap real estate around these days Ben./ There is a nice house for sale about 40 k up the road from me for 39,000 nothing to spoend on it either by the looks of it.It would be a 3 hour drive from you I'd say.A little North of Warracknabeal...Warracknabeal is my closest town(27k) and prices are jumping up there too.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:36 am

Herby wrote:yeah i was hoping to get something a bit dumpy that i could fix myself
or even really dumpy, so long as it has a few acres, the house is no real concern.

then one day, i might move up for a few years and do it up,
but for now i'd just like to grow lots of fruit trees and some bits and pieces, rock up on weekends
dance around in my orchard in the nuddy and praise the lord! :lol:

Way to go Herby sounds like you are enjoying it.
By the way who is "nuddy" :roll: :roll: :roll: 8) 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:37 am

Herby wrote:nuddy? you know.. in the nuddy, nude Image

You bite well dont you Ben.
Have a nice day.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Ben, I am sure Paul was only teasing you, he loves teasing us girls and means no harm at all :)
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:50 pm

Hiya Ben,

You'd better be a bit careful when you're runnin' nuddy at Ben's Berry Shack - don't a few of those berries have nasty thorny stalks? Maybe your run should be through Herby's Herbporium in the Olive Grove - better smelling than incense!! :lol: 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Now thats a good one Luzy ..Herby's Herbarium ....you can grow lots of herbs in the west here Ben ....Olives too ......You can dance the fandango around the olive grove in no time up here....BTW ...I had two hares dancing around my new olive trees yesterday ...the darn things stood on tippy toes and bit off the top of the smallest tree whilst I watched in disbelief from the window!!! I'll give em fandango ...wheres that gun Paul????
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:09 pm

yes you should "herb' them up with a little chat Ben ....but weren't you pushing it a bit? Usually olives take 4-6 years to fruit anyway!Poor thing was probably so scared it shat itself having olives for you.!! :lol: :lol: Now you dance Nuddy around the olive tree whilst you stomp em for oil! :lol: :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce