growing guava tree in sydney

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

growing guava tree in sydney

Postby win » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:49 am

Just wondering if anyone from sydney has grown a guava tree and is it possible to grown them in pots, also do u need more than one of them in order to produce fruit? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Email: winniemartin@hotmail.com
Time: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 06:27:29 UTC
win

Guava Tree

Postby Astar » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:05 pm

What type of Guava tree is it. If it is a Feijoa aka pineapple guava, it is supposed to have a cross pollinator. My Aunt used to grow them but she also had the true guava which was probably the pollinator. I prefer the fruit from the Feijoa for eating. I have one growing in a pot that has never flowered, but I must admit, it has been neglected :oops: . I am waiting until We move so I can plant it in it's permanent home :)
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Guava

Postby Astar » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:18 am

My Feijoa has FLOWERED but with no pollinator I guess I will not get any fruit. Looks as though I will have to get another one. :roll:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Guava tree in Sydney

Postby bardau » Sun May 22, 2005 6:47 pm

Dunno if my experience will help seeing as it was over 20 years ago [when I had a real garden <sob> ]

I lived at Lansvale [near Liverpool] in a flood area. The only fruit tree that thrived was a guava tree bought from the local Flower Power. It definitely wasn't a feijoa, it was just called guava. The fruit were greenish/fawn, almost pear-shaped, and much larger than feijoas. You picked them before they softened, then put them in a dark cupboard until they developed a scent of ripe pineapple. Actually they smelled quite glorious when ripe.

When cut in half, the inside was a bright pink in colour with the skin being very thin & edible. I've bought similar-looking guavas in Sydney fruit shops, but their ripe innards were cream-coloured & with little flavour. I don't know what variety my tree was, its fruit were superior to feijoas IMO.
bardau
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce