Citrus and iron problems

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Citrus and iron problems

Postby jack » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:27 pm

I live on the perth sandy coastal plain, Iron is a foreign word that our soil has not heard of. I asked a nursery last september what i should do about my sick looking orange, lemonade and mandarin tree's. He told me to apply iron in liquid form every couple of months, I have done this and have wonderful looking trees which grow a lot around iron time and less after a few months.
My question is what is the organic alternative to rectify the soil? I do apply compost but as this garden is only 358 days old it really still is sandy. My ph reads neutral.
jack
Head Curator

Lemon tree

Postby Astar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:58 pm

Hi Jack
Better late than never with a reply. I have just been on anothe chat forum and a lady on there buried steel, nails etc around her tree and says it is looking really good. Try that or some iron tablets might do the job. Good luck! :idea:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Latest idea

Postby jack » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:41 pm

We have a mushroom farm here in the swan valley, so in a desperate effort to increase soil moisture holding ability i went and spent $38 dollars on a trailer load of mushroom compost.
I first put down a single sheet of newspaper, then 10cm thick of mushroom compost, then another 10cm of tree chips/ bark/ wood chips etc on top.
This was todays project, so will see if that gets me some nice green citrus trees.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce