What % of Herb seeds result in plants?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

What % of Herb seeds result in plants?

Postby DrGK » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:28 pm

:?: :?: :?: When looking at the Herb seeds in the catalogue - there are so many seeds in each packet. It has led me to wander what percentage grow and hence how many seeds I should be planting. Many Thanks for anyone that can help. :)
DrGK

Postby Mandy » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:30 pm

It's not really possible to generalise about germination percentages for herbs as a group - some, such as basil, have very high germination rates, and will even self seed in a garden situation, whereas angelica seed has a short viability period. Another one with low germination rates is stevia. Hope this is some help. Others may know more than I about specific herbs.
Mandy
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:52 am

I certainly wouldn't be planting a whole packet of seeds if you're only wanting a few plants, unless you have a lot of family and friends you could pass the spare plants onto.

A test I've read about for checking the germination rate of seeds is to place, say, 10 seeds between a couple of sheets of DAMP paper towel inside a plastic zip-lock bag on top of your fridge.

after a week or so, check the seeds. Multiply the number of germinated seeds by 10, and that will give you a fairly good indication of your gemination rate as a percentage.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:54 pm

I gave up last year and bought the herbs I needed a bit later. Being perennial they multiply and it was cheaper in the long run. If it was not the weather it was the snails which ravaged the seedlings. :x
This year I have not tried and there seem to be fewer snails around. Or maybe I am not growing snail preferences any more. Not even my cat litter prevented them from eating the Renga liliies I was silly enough to put in a noice shady spot, but there is a stump left. :?
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce