Blueberries, Avocadoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Blueberries, Avocadoes

Postby Alicia » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:56 pm

We are on the Gold Coast (SE Queenland) with a new and exciting garden. I have recently planted a reed avocado (being careful to keep her trunk dry and airy and she is planted up high) but her leaves are fairly droopy and yellow. She seems to be struggling on but I want to give her every chance. Any thoughts? Also, I would LOVE to grow some blueberries (I saw them at a local nursery) but am I doomed to failure in our climate?? We are not close enough to the coast to get salt breezes but we get mighty hot and humid in summer. :oops: Thank you in advance for all your help.
A novice but enthusiastic gardener.............
Alicia
Apprentice

blackberries in brisbane

Postby doueymegan » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:03 pm

Hi we are growing blcakberries successfully and they are so yummy and our avocado tree is growing delightfully... At present they are both in pots with tea trea mulch and are on a dripper system where they get 10 min of water every morning at 4.00 am.. yes we have them on a timer... my two year old loves the blackberries... when the rest of the garden is finished we will be planting them in the garden but we are up to the second crop this summer already... so give them a go... we are in Brisbane well away from the sea.. they both also get sun all day long... let me know how you get on...... :lol: :lol:
doueymegan

Avacado

Postby Astar » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:12 pm

My avacado was doing really great but has just recently gone all droopy on me :cry: . I was told by someone who grows them commercially that they loose a lot of moisture and I am guessing through their leaves with evaporation. I have been giving it BIG drinks so now I will probably drown it. Has anyone got any tips on these trees :?:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Blueberries

Postby Lisa B » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Blueberries grow very successfully in the Northern Rivers area of NSW, and Louis Glowinski (check his excellent book out, it's the best if you're into growing home produce, I think it's called "Complete guide to growing fruits and nuts in Australia") recommends 'Rabbit's Eye' blueberries for warmer climates...you just need to net them otherwise the birds will get the lot. They love acid soil, similar to azaleas. Use a deep mulch of pine needles, and plenty of organic matter. We'll be starting a bed of bluberries this spring, so let us know how you go!

Cheers,
Lisa
:D
Lisa B

Return to Fruit and Produce