Blackberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Blackberries

Postby jack » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:04 pm

This time last year i went to the local nursery and got a blackberry bare rooted and planted it.
One week later i had some leaves.
Two week's later i had a stick.
Four week's later i declared it a dead stick.
This year i have two on order from bulb express, what should i do to get these berries to grow? is there a special soil mix needed or am i the only bloke around who can kill what some councils call a weed without any trouble.
I did the normal water it in, gave it some protection from the sun (put it under a palm tree) and applied coir fibre with the sand it was going into.
This year i have a thick layer of mulch (pine/almond/gum/palm) to cover the soil and have had the soil improved with mushroom compost as well.
So what do i have to do to keep them alive, or was the first effort due to a poor supplier of the plant.
jack
Head Curator

Blackberries

Postby Sally & Alistair » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:29 pm

We have a stick that is supposed to be a blackberry. We are going to give it another week then it is going to be fed to the rabbits.

We were reading in an american berry book that when you plant bare rooted blackberries, you must make sure not to expose the roots to sunlight because for some reason it can kill the bush.

We don't know if this killed your blackberries but it certaintly killed ours - as they were planted on a sunny day.

Let us know how you get on.

Sally & Alistair
Penrith
Sally & Alistair

Update

Postby jack » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:02 pm

Mine are growing wonderful this year, mushroom compost and a thick tree pruning mulch about 20cm deep around them. so far they have filled out with leaf growth and not begun to grow upwards.
after a couple 41 degree days last week i would have expected sticks, yet they handled the heat with eaze.
jack
Head Curator

blackberries

Postby cheryl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:07 pm

Have you had any luck this year? If so please let me know what you did
Mine didn't get any shoots at all it just turned brown and died :( .
cheryl

mine

Postby jack » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:12 pm

i sold up and moved to new home back in may. so my berries are not with me.
but i am getting some in my order this week and have made a dry creek bed from polished stone which gets the run off from my swimming pool. so will try the plants this time along the creek edge. plus have spent past month studying zeolite and soil structure, did a one day course on soils as well. so have a few more ideas to give some life into my dry sandy soil.
will try this time using a product called 4 vital from QLD. Its by amgrow http://www.amgrowgardenking.com.au
is a soil mineral boost, website will explain it better and still use seasol which i feel after many years is still the best tonic i can use on any plant. plus another product i am trying is by river safe and its a soil conditioner with zeolite which has been proven in hydroponics so am keen to see how it works in gardens. Also from QLD so you should find it anywhere. their website is http://www.supersorb.com.au/riversafe.html
jack
Head Curator

no eucalyptus mulch

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:24 pm

I noticed that you said you had a good mulch that included gum - I
m assuming you mean leaves here. Using eucalyptus leaves as a mulch can be a death sentence for non-native plants - and, in fact, for many natives as well.
If you look at the ground under a mature gum, you will often notice that the ground is bare, even grass has a hard time growing there. This isn't just because of the shade, this is because the leaves shed by the tree actually poison the soil with eucalyptus oil that prevents other plants from growing under the leaf canopy. It's a survival mechanism that ensures that the eucalypt gets all the nutrition from that area of soil.

This probably won't be the only reason why your blackberry didn't thrive, but it won't have helped.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

gums

Postby jack » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:46 am

i understand what you are saying about gums, but i had the mix very even, more almond and jacaranda than gum or pine. plus it was spread over around 250 to 300 sqm of garden with no drama on other plants.
i would put it down to the soil, will put another post out on the soil condition of the area as rated by United Nations. in plain language it could not have been any worse.
in new area that i moved to i am on a much more fertile productive duplex soil with sand/fine clay up top and 3 to 5 metres down to a more solid clay base. in this home i have already got a very productive vegie garden working in last home the vegie garden suffered no matter what i planted.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce