Finding Aibika

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Finding Aibika

Postby Rodney » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:35 am

After living in Papua New Guinea for 14 years I have developed a liking for a edible plant called Aibika. It is from the hibiscus family and has a Maple shaped leaf. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find some plants to buy in Queensland.
Rodney
Apprentice

Finding Aibika

Postby Astar » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:19 pm

Hi Rodney, As much as I hate to send you to the opposition, there is another garden forum at the Gardening Australia site and a lot of the people on there are from Qld. They are a very knowledgable bunch (not to say we aren't!), but there are a lot more people on that site that love to pass on info. You might get lucky and someone on this site may just have your answer. I hope so. :wink:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:48 pm

Is it that climber with the choclolate flavoured fruit by any chance? Can't remember where I saw seed for that and it has a similar name. It may be something prohibited or under strict conditions in Australia. Ann
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:55 pm

Akebia, the chocolate vine. Is that it? I have seen it in Bunnings in WA so if that's it, it should be easily available in Queensland. And I have seen seed somewhere in the past.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Finding Aibika

Postby Astar » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:57 pm

Hi Ann, I was going to say the plant you were talking about and the one Rodney is looking for are different, BUT, I looked up my book and the Akebia plant SOMETIMES produces fruit, so it may be the same. I have an Akebia plant but it is only two years old and has not produced fruit yet. Great chocolate smell though. Should be readily available in any large Nursery. :shock:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:38 pm

I found the other message , so it is a different plant. I was thinking of getting an Akebia now that I will have a patio. Pity our Bunnings has not a large nursery department. But I can get one from one of the online nurseries. Been planting lots of lilies this week in any empty places or close to the spring bulbs.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce