Strawberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Strawberries

Postby Marrion » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:25 pm

I planted 4 Strawberry plants early in the year in an old yard cart. I fed them well and they are now covered in heaps strawberries but they are sooooo small. The actual plants don't seem to have grown very well. Any comments would be appreciated. :?
Marrion

Idea

Postby jack » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:44 pm

I had the same problem, so i did what i have always been told to do to fruit trees and thinned the crop out a little. With my latest batch they are noticeable larger. Also look at giving them a feed every 2nd week of fish emulsion, this might also be what is giving me the larger fruit. You may find that with your plants being small, that this is a clue. If a plant feels sick or not happy with its current lot in life it can bolt to seed in order to survive. So maybe the strawberry plants are bolting to seed, Try replanting them in a well composted soil mix and then apply some seasol to help them adjust.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce