Fruit trees from cuttings

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Fruit trees from cuttings

Postby Astar » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:39 pm

I have grown a couple of fig trees and some mulberry trees from cuttings taken last winter and one fig has got a fig and one mulberry had fruit in November :lol: Both trees are still only about 25cms tall and I know they grow realllly BIG, but what I would like to know is what the root system is like on both trees :?:
Are they damaging to paths, foundations etc as we found a root from the original mulberry tree had travelled some distance (10mts) but I don't know if they are invasive or destructive? I would hate to plant one on a suburban block and have problems with the neighbours. I know they both grow big but I could keep them trimmed :roll:
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:19 pm

I think I saw on TV on BHG that fig trees can grow happily in pots. I took a cutting from my daughter and I am going to just pot it. No doubt the size is why they are down at the bottom of the yard. :lol: A friend of mine had a terrible time trimming a mulberry tree last year as it was too big and too close to the house.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce