Pineapples

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Pineapples

Postby Astar » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:18 pm

I put the tops of two pineapples on top of pots of potting mix and they are going great guns. I also have one growing in my worm farm which I will dig out as it is not getting any sun. Question: How long does it take to get a fruit and how much soil is needed for the roots :?: I only put them in pots to see if they would grow, but there may not be enough soil for them to do any good. At least they never cost me anything :wink:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:02 am

They can take from 18 months to 3 years to fruit.

I read somewhere quite a while ago that they will fruit in 18 months. I've had mine in for over 18 months now and was wondering why they were doing nothing. now I know - you can't believe everything you read on the 'net'. :roll:

I bought one particular pineapple because it had 5 'heads', and I figured it would make a great potted specimen when it fruits. I have it in an 8inch ..... umm 20cm ..... squat-type pot, and it seems to be quite happy.

I found that mine did take a fair while to establish a reasonable amount of roots. It's just a matter of patience, I guess.

You can force flowering in your potted pineapples by enclosing the whole pot in a plastic bag with an apple for a few weeks. The gas given off by the apple will trigger the flowering process.

I have about a dozen in the ground, and figured I had nothing to lose by tossing an apple under each plant, so am hoping it works. Within a couple of days the leaves had turned from green to red, so it must be doing something. :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

pineapples

Postby Astar » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:39 pm

I also read that tops take 18 months to fruit, and the article said they are generally unsuited to the home garden except in the tropics. I guess I may never see fruit on mine 'cause Perth aint exactly the tropics :!: I also read you can grow them from butts, so next time I buy a fresh one, I am going to try that as well. If nothing else, there will be a bit more green in the garden :mrgreen:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:35 am

the farmers get them to fruit in about 18 months but they know what they are doing and they also get large fruit, they leave the tops out in the sun for a couple of weeks or so to stress the plant well this is the trade secret as i heard it.

anyway not sure how they will grow in pots they could produce a very tiny fruit and that could easily take up to 3 years, best you might get is a member of the brom' family and not a very pretty one at that.

they will do much better in full sun in the ground and not lots of water, try to mimic what the farmers do, for me i got sick of waiting up to 2 years to get very sweet and tasty small fruit, just not worth the space or effort.

len 8)
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 am

Check that the fruit is still attached.

As children, my husband and his brother once knocked the pineapple their mother had lovingly tended off the plant, while playing soccer in the backyard. So they just put it back, balancing it on the plant. It took her a few weeks to realise what had happened.

They still haven't lived it down.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:38 pm

I reckon pineapple tops are among the unkillable plants :D :D I put a top on a pot and no matter wat happens, it stays alive :D at least it was yeaterday, LOL
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce