'Baby' Mandarin Tree's First Fruit!

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

'Baby' Mandarin Tree's First Fruit!

Postby Lea » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:05 pm

Hi there, wondering if anyone here can answer my question ... we don't as yet have all that much experience with fruits ... in the past I've been a gardener moreso along the lines of flowers and vegetables. So we're just beginning, just learning, with our "Imperial" mandarin tree which we planted about two or two-and-a-half years ago ... it's still not as tall as me, but it's steadily put on a lot of leaf growth and is happily growing in size :). Well, this past summer, for the very first time, it has produced two relatively small mandarins, which I'm quite excited and very pleased with (I know that's "small bananas" - or "small mandarins" should I say :wink: - to more experienced fruit growers, but I'm thrilled with my little tree and its two mandarins :lol:!) and they're just beginning to turn orange now ... It's probably a simple question, but :?: how does one know when mandarins are ready to be picked and eaten? :?:
Lea
Head Curator

When to pick / citrus tips.

Postby jack » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:46 pm

Wait to they are ready to drop off. if you had a tree with dozens of fruit then this would not be a problem, but two means you will want to check the tree every day.
I was driving last sunday through gingin/bindoon district and the local orchards are now selling bag loads of mandarins, if you look at the orchards you see one of two things, either nets under the trees or people collecting fruit from the ground. i purchased several bags worth and all are perfect.
The only other thing you can do if waiting for fruit to fall is not to your liking, is to wait till they are a nice orange colour, buy a bag of mandarins and find a colour of the one you like the taste of most and then pick your fruit around the same colour.
also if you are wondering where the fruits are and why the tree is the way it is, think about how you feed the tree.
my tip is feed it a dose of thrive flower and fruit in september, december and again in april. also give it a once a month feed of seasol.
once the tree no longer looks like a shrub and has at least reached 6ft in height replace the thrive with a citrus pellet or powder feed.
with the soil, try to avoid using chicken manure, aim for mushroom compost instead and then as a mulch use lucerne hay or pea straw.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Lea » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Jack, thanks for the advice ... I'll just keep my eye on them then. Yes, I love mandarins, so I'm always happy to try numerous taste tests from the shop! :wink:

Interesting, what you said about where the fruits are on the tree ... as a matter of fact, they are both on the same branch, on the same side. And, giving some thought to what I've been doing on that side of the bush, the side where the mandarins are growing, is a bare patch of earth, where I've been focussing on planting bulbs, young shrubs and perennials, and I've been throwing a lot of lucerne hay around on that side of the bush, compared to the other side of the bush which has a very large and beautiful azalea and which I've pretty much ignored. Compared to how much mulch and stuff I've put on the bare side, and that bare side's where the two mandarins have grown! 8) Interesting.

By the way, I tried to check out your web site (listed at the bottom of your posts) but the link wouldn't work ... thought I'd let you know. And anyone who's so-inclined, check out my web site, which I've just linked to my posts here! Do give me some feedback ... let me know what you think! :D
Lea
Head Curator

web

Postby jack » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:34 pm

Thanks for update on my website, i have moved house now and have two properties to photograph etc for a new website. but i will hassle my isp to find out where last page went to. will check out your site as well.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce