Citrus Trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Citrus Trees

Postby Astar » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:52 pm

I read through the old posts on Lemon trees and their various ailments and it prompted me to respond with my "cures". Last year when I bought a lime and a lemon tree, I thought I was going to lose the lemon, leaves dropped off, stems started dying and I read it the last rights (just joking!).
I buried bits of scrap iron around the pot, yes it's in a half wine barrel, citrus fertilizer and I PEED on it (get the mental picture out of your mind, cause I am a LADY!). I also cut it back and this year it has grown so much with heaps of blossom, fruit and beautiful new bronze growth.
This year I bought two mandarins and two oranges and one of the mandarin trees looked like it was going to die. Same treatment as the lemon and it now has lots of new growth. My Granddaughter adopted the mandarin tree and when I told her she had to pee on it, the look on her face was priceless, but now she tells everyone she has to pee on her tree.
All my citrus have scrap iron buried around them with a dose of citrus food and all are looking quite healthy. Citrus trees are shallow rooted so too much water is not good.... a little and often.
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Astar » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:54 pm

Plenty of mulch too :oops:
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:37 pm

I get one of the mail order catalogues and a few months ago they were advertising this bedpan for ladies to use while travelling and my daughter and I were helpless with laughter, ROFLOL at the thought of telling her hubby, driving of course, and the three teenagers in the back what she was doing :D :D :D . Do you have a gazunda??? :D :D :P
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Astar » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:25 pm

Hey Ann, you are showing your age :!: How many of our Forum users know what a gazunda is :?: and answering your question....no; bed base is too low. We have our ways :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Astar
Head Gardener

liquid fertiliser

Postby Kerrie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:48 pm

Oh I wish I'd read this yesterday!

I followed an EVIL smell in the bathroom today to find a plastic cup with urine in it hidden in a corner - apparently my littlest girl had needed to go whilst IN the bath and didn't want to get out and use the proper facility with a wet bot!
After lecturing her and making her smell the two-day old result that had been sitting next to the heater vent, I poured the evidence down the toilet and threw away the cup - having read this, I should have gone and watered my mandarin tree with it! It was already aged :?

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:19 pm

They used to collect buckets af urine and use it when making Harris Tweed in the islands off Scotland. :shock: :cry: But, they have changed their ways now!!! :D :D I have no citrus trees at present , but considering a lemon tree. I have a queen sized bed, :D not a divan, if you get my drift should it ever become necessary!!!! 8)
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:30 pm

:D I know it's off the topic, but just had to say, Astar, I LOVE your avatar image ... it's gorgeous :D
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Astar » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:29 am

Thank you Lea :D Do you know how hard it is to get up close to a small bird that is always on the go and get a photo? I would love to get a photo of the male blue wren but they never stay still long enough. The colour of the males is really brilliant now. I guess as the saying goes "Patience is a virtue". Will keep trying :roll:
Astar
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce