garlic

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Linda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Don't want to be a pain in the proverbial, but I've had more success with chives between roses than garlic, which can get pretty big . At least with chives you can cut it down to size. I too make garlic soup - and the amazing thing is it really does keep the vampires away =p~ Linda
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Len,

How's the garlic going?
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 am

g'day sam,

that's a sad story this year mate, i can't find out for sure but due to very mild winter all i have is garlics that look like spring onions and not real strong on garlic flavour, very dissapointing i have been growing these garlics up for 3 years now. this is the first time ever a crop has failed. total failure so far not one properly developed plant.

so i too will be looking to source natural local grown garlic for next years plantings. saw some in an organic shop in gympie very small stuff so maybe even those who are in the know had problems as well? it was a mere $30 a kilo hey . imagine i could also ahve made some good pocket money if mine had grown right.

so dunno realy what went wrong all where planted my end of march into april, not even any flowers on the hardnecks???

suffering garlic withdrawl symptoms hey lol, menas unless i pay big bucks for garlic there won't be any garlic aromas from our kitchen.

if you source a good supply of local garlic let me know hey? when i get down there i will be going to the cab' markets and keeping a weather eye out hey lol. :?: :shock: :oops:

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:30 am

We haven't seen anything at the markets so far, but will be keeping an eye out. We get any fruit/veg there that we need - great place for it!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:30 am

g'day sam,

that's bound to be the case hey :( local gardeners can't grow it anymore because the market was killed by that junk stuff :evil: .

2 years ago i could get local grown garlic in the local veg'stall for around 5 bucks a kilo, now they only got that other stuff same as the other fruit n veg supplier in gympie they have no locals stuff because any organic stuff now grown in qld is too dear to buy wholesale and customers who don't realy know any better refuse to pay the higher retail price. :cry:

so as you would now know if you see any real garlic buy it for next seasons plantings, we are going to ahve to buy some of this organic garlic in the store i we simply won't ahve any to grow i don't even think anyone in the seed saver networks handles it anymore i ahven't seen it in the eden seeds book for a while now i may wrong of course but can well imagine what they would want for it :?:

len :(

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:35 am

I heard this morning that fresh local garlic can be found at the James St Markets in Brisbane for about $1 per clove.

I'll check out diggers and the GE website as well.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:42 am

GE has sold out at the moment - we'll have to keep checking. Nothing on Diggers.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks Ben, sounds great - can you plant it?
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:38 pm

Maybe garlic is having a general no-grow this season :? . Two types here have grown but not flowered - I'll dig them shortly and see what's happening underneath.

The Elephant garlic is starting to get flowers but is getting a bit yellowy - the Russian is still yellow as it was before, but also getting flowers. I did contact Diggers about the Russian, thinking it might have a viral disease to cause the yellowing. They suggested a good dose of powdered dolomite and a liquid feed of seaweed then to wait four weeks. No difference so far.

The only garlic that still looks like it should is a top-setting one that I have no idea what the name is. If it does flower (I'm looking forward to seeing the 'flower') you're welcome to some of the bulbils, Sam. :)

Your fruit shop mate sounds like a good friend to have, Ben! 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:51 pm

Ben,

thank you so much - the garlic arrived today. I can't wait to try it. I wasn't going to try the $1 per clove stuff for my soup - $60 for one ingredient is just waaaay toooo much!

Now - I need advice from all of you who have been successful with it - where is the best place to plant?

Thanks again, Ben!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:06 pm

yup too early for queensland plantings need to store them until late march early april is the norm' then pray for cold ground temps.

len :shock:

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce