Rhubarb - how to plant?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Rhubarb - how to plant?

Postby Lea » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:32 pm

Anticipating future delicious home-grown produce, I've just purchased a rhubarb crown from BE, and received it last week ... now, how deep should I plant it??? The BE Guide says 1cm deep, but if it's a crown, shouldn't I plant it at soil level??? Sorry to sound like an amateur, I've enjoyed gardening for years with flowers, shrubs, trees, bulbs, but am just a beginner to the vegetable/produce side of it all! I'm just a little confused, and need some info on this rhubarb crown ... can someone please explain :?: how deep I plant it - below ground, or soil level? :?: And also, how can I identify which end is the top, since right now it just looks like a dried piece of woody root??? :?:
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:35 pm

My daughter bought seedlings last year which I put in a polystyrene box, and most of which seem to have died. :( However, when I dug up the large one I knew was alive, I found all these other baby roots!! :D :D so I planted them all out. That's one way: put them in a large pot till they sprout-these ones were conical so easy to plant and not dry. Trouble is, I cannot eat rhubarb any more!! I love it, but it hates me1 :cry: :cry:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Astar » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:38 am

I planted my crowns with the tops just above soil level and they grew ok.
They love manure and water. Has one end of your "dried bit of woody root" got a rounded end? If so that would be the top of the plant. You could always pack it in damp sawdust and wait for it to shoot then plant it.
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Lea » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:25 pm

Hi Astar :D thanks very much for the info ... I actually already planted it, but only a few days ago ... I planted it about 1cm underneath the soil, so I'm going to dig it up and see which end is more 'rounded', make sure I planted it the right way up, and this time I'll plant it with the crown just above the surface as you suggest! That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure ... I was very uneasy about having planted it too deep, so I'll do that. Yes, Ann, I too love rhubarb, especially with icecream! We too have planted seedlings of rhubarb, a couple of years ago now, and every summer we enjoy it, but it doesn't go red ... it stays green, and if you leave it on the plant and wait for it to go red, as we did at the beginning, it eventually goes brown and that's it :roll: Then we saw Don Burke explaining that the red form is the true rhubarb form, and the green form is a seed form which has reverted to the original form ... he was actually very critical of retailers who sell seedlings not knowing if they will be the red or the green form :x. So after learning that from Burke's Backyard, we realised we can eat the stems of the green form ... but now that I've bought this crown from BE, I'm very much looking forward to red rhubarb in the future :D Thanks so much for your advice, Astar, I will indeed check it out when I get out into the garden in the next couple of days :wink:
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:33 pm

Thanks, Astar. She did not want to spend a lot on rhubarb in a rented house and bought the seedlings for me to grow on. :D I'll pull it when the stems are big enough then. One is definitely a red form-the one that stayed'alive'. :D The last lot of rhubarb was in 1992 and it nearly crippled me! :cry: :cry:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Astar » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 pm

Hi Lea, The redder the rhubarb stalks, the sweeter the flavour. The green stalks are very "tart" according to a book I have. I always cook mine with honey. I bought a bottle of Rhubarb, Raspberry and Pernod sauce to serve over a multitude of things, but have not tried it yet. There is a lady who makes all these yummy sauces and I am working my way through them. Can't have too much at once 'cause they all contain alcohol :wink:

Ann, same book says rhubarb is a no-no if you have kidney stones, but sounds like your problem may have been arthritis.
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce