Crocus for safron

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Crocus for safron

Postby Carol » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:23 pm

I have a large patch of crocus that I planted from Bulb Express stock about 6 years ago. They have white flowers, can I collect the stamen to use in my cooking or is it a specific variety that is used as safron?
Carol

Postby Ann » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:32 am

Crocus sativus is the one grown for saffron. There is somewhere in Tassie, but I can't remember where, but there are a couple of speciality growers who may have some, if you want them. I'll be interested to see if other varieties will do.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:18 pm

There is someone near Devonport in Tassie who is passionate about crocus sativa. I'm not sure about protocol giving someone's email address in a public forum so if anyone wants it, it might be an idea to Private Message me through this forum and I'll pass it on to you.

Cheers

Astra
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:04 am

Carol, check with Garden Express whether the ones you bought 6 years ago are likely to be the right type. I know that last year they were selling the saffron ones, so its worth asking them about it.

Pam
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Moderators Team » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:44 am

Yes the Saffron Crocus are back in this year's catalogue. Since they are autumn flowering it is best to plant them early.
Moderators Team
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce