growing Jerusalem artichokes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

growing Jerusalem artichokes

Postby Debbra » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:09 pm

I have recently purchased some Jerusalem artichokes and i am getting frustrated at the lack of growing information available. There is nothing in the bulb express growing guide and no other web sites have anything either unless i am searching all wrong. I have never grown them before and i don't really want to guess at what i should be doing.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Debbra
Apprentice

Postby Ann » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:52 pm

They can become a bit of a pest as they grow from easily brokn tubers. I might get some from last year as I forgot to harvest them in time. I think they are from the sunflower family-they look like sunflowers. You could either just plant them where you can get at them easily, or try a large pot.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Astar » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:34 pm

8) Welcome Debbra. Some info I found in my book that may be helpful.

Soil must be dug deeply with half a cup of potash enriched complete fertilizer applied to the soil arround each plant. They grow in sun or shade but need plenty of water in the growing season. The tubers should be harvested 4-6 weeks after flowering or when the tops wilt. Plant tubers in Sept-Oct to a depth of 10-15cm and between 30 and 70cm apart.

Ann is right in saying they are related to Sunflowers (Y)
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:40 pm

I prob did not water mine enough last year. I still have some of the tubers dried out. But I think I'll be going for a large pot.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby garden lover » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:56 pm

Ann wrote:I prob did not water mine enough last year. I still have some of the tubers dried out. But I think I'll be going for a large pot.

I find that once you have these delicious veges you will always have them. They just keep on coming, Good luck and enjoy the soup :lol:
happy gardener
garden lover
Apprentice

Postby garden lover » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:57 pm

Ann wrote:I prob did not water mine enough last year. I still have some of the tubers dried out. But I think I'll be going for a large pot.

I find that once you have these delicious veges you will always have them. They just keep on coming, Good luck and enjoy the soup :lol:
happy gardener
garden lover
Apprentice

Return to Fruit and Produce