ornamental grape vines

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

ornamental grape vines

Postby ruralc3@bigpond.net.au » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:40 pm

I have two ornamental grapes, in pots, that I want to grow up to cover a pergola. I put them in pots (terracotta) because when we bought the house there was a wisteria, planted in the ground, and it's roots were and still are (they are all over the garden even though we pulled out the main vine) very destructive. The grapes have been in 3 years and they just don't grow. Can anyone make any suggestions as to why they haven't grown - they currently have some very small new shoots on them but they just go nowhere. I am at Alstonville NSW - subtropical climate but very dry for the last couple of years.
ruralc3@bigpond.net.au

water?

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:28 pm

My immediate question would be if they are receiving enough water, especially as you comment on the weather conditions. If you've potted them, I'm assuming that you are watering them? Pots do dry out quicker than the ground, and fluctuate more in temperature.

Apart from that I can't suggest anything more than making sure the soil in the pots is friable (not compacted). My friend planted an ornamental vine in Melbourne and it took off like a shot.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:33 pm

I can only add that you need water saving granules and even Wettasoil as well to ensure water goes into the roots in the pot and not down the outside. Fertiliser been added?
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Ornamental Grape Vines

Postby Marrion » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:09 pm

I would also think that lack of water could be a problem, I would also suggest that you repot the vines and before putting in new soil, coat the inside of the terracotta pots with a sealer which you can purchase at garden centres or hardware stores. Terracotta pots dry out very quickly. I usually line the inside of mine with a piece of plastic (green garbage bags work very well). Hope our suggestions help you.
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce