Cabbage Butterflies

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Cabbage Butterflies

Postby Marrion » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:28 pm

Can anyone suggest a safe spray or dust for my caulis and cabbages as the butterflies are at them already :evil: They were ruined last year during the summer months by these little pests.
Marrion

Postby Ann » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:42 pm

I just happened to hear in the last two weeks that flour will smother them. As we had some rain I have not done it yet, but you can't get much safer than that. :) I have still some caulies coming on. How about the underside/ Hmmmmm
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:32 pm

Just been on the Global Garden site, I have not been here all day :D , visitors!!!) and Dipel was recommended for cabbage butterflies as being specific to them.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:57 pm

I use Dipel and it seems to work OK - only trouble is the caterpillars have to emerge first before the bacteria paralyses its stomach, and if it rains or you overhead water, it needs to be applied again. I companion plant southernwood near my brassicas as well as spring onions and chives.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Ann » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Yes, my caulis and broccoli(ni) are still untreated and have kept on producing. The cabbage have not feared so well, but with a daily or 2 day watering, it's hard. I just hope the cabbages survive. I got another bowl off the broccolini last night even after our disastrous 44 Wed and Thurs. Pity a lot of the flowers died off.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Cabbage Butterflies

Postby Marrion » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:24 pm

Still haven't sprayed yet but did buy some Dipel to try, and I think the time has come to use it as they are starting to look ragged. I will try companion planting next year as I am not so keen on using spray products. Thankyou for your replies and hope you all have a Happy Christmas and New Year :D
Marrion

Return to Fruit and Produce