Okra

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Okra

Postby Kerrie » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Does anyone have any experience in growing Okra? I decided to get experimental this year and planted a number of things that aren't particularly common around here (Melbourne).

I'd be happy for any advice regarding okra's likes/dislikes, so I can maximise my yield. I found that the germination rate for seed was only 50%, from a new packet. This seems fairly low compared to other vegetables - particularly when I threw some old tomato seed (plant before '02 and a little bit 'furry') into a tup of dirt, and much to my surprise have about 30 tomato seedlings poking up their heads and saying 'hello' when I expected about five!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:37 pm

Tomatoes are always like that. :D So are other veges you chuck on the compost :D I have loads of pumpkins this year, mostly from last year's seed or from where I buried the vege scraps. They are racing away while others languish :cry: But to Okra. All I know is that it seeems to like plenty hot summer weather. I like diff things too, but have not tried that yet. I'm on the south coast. Been really hot last week, but back to cool weaather this week. Keep us posted later. :)
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:01 pm

I've tried growing okra in Canberra this year - they took a number of months to get established, and they fruit very slowly...

Seems they like the hot weather and do OK when we have temperatures in the high 20s or 30s. However, a single night that drops below about 10 degrees will make any flowers or fruit shrivel up and drop off. Definitely can't stand the cold.

okra

Postby Kerrie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:24 pm

Well that makes sense... I'm disappointed with the growth, it's been very slow, and now that the weather is starting to cool down I guess I can just scratch them for this year. I do remember reading that if you cut them back they will fruit a second year, so I'll just pop them in a warm spot over winter and try again next spring/summer.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Mandy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:33 pm

I grew Okra a couple of years ago and it grew and fruited really well - it loved the heat. I grew it in summer in SEQld, so probably likes similar growing conditions to eggplant and capsicum. As an interesting side point, the flowers are very similar to Rosella flowers - quite pretty really. I think it's because they are both from the hibiscus family (at least I think they are... :) )
Mandy
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce