what fruit trees should I plant

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:48 am

Herby wrote:Hiya Kitkat, yeah there redgum but they don't hold their color long.
well there's a house close by that has taken the jungle look to the extreme, i must go by and take some pics.
it's funny about the microclimate thingy as i was just reading my local council now encouraging growing shrubs ect out on the nature strips and mulching rather than having grass.
that's gotta be helpful to the environment if everyone goes that way,
it'll certainly allow for a lot more homes for insects and what not.

Hi Luzy! oh the bricks :roll: well if i didn't spend all my pennies on mulch and redgum, i'd probably have enough for bricks :)
looks like next week i'll get 'em and maybe start putting them up the following, so the chook shed is still a bit away unfortunately,
But the garden as a whole has been improving every day, so i'm happy with that.

Kitkat, 4 eggs a day is great!
enough for brecky and an omelette for lunch! :lol:
so, any good eggie recipes kitkat? what do you do with excess eggs?

Morning Herby,

With the bricks you might want to look at whats called "seconds" they are bricks that have been removed from a building that has been demolished
and are cheaper to buy.
Its just a matter of looking around to find them.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:13 pm

My Lemon tree is going to make it! It has the tiniest little buds starting to form after all this time stark naked...poor thing I had almost given up hope for it .Not one single leaf left after the first month I planted it and none in the past four months...not a sign...but out comes the sun ...a good rain ...and presto ...Spring burgeons even in my little lemon tree ...joy! :D
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Hi Paul,

Gosh, fancy you noticing your name mentioned... :| Should I be sending you a recipe for a vegetable casserole, perhaps? :wink: How's your beautifully watered patch happening along? :D

And hi Ben, sounds like the chooks aren't too far away - but you do need the mulch and redgum. I've been tempted to ring up about an ad in our local newspaper that offers supposedly organic manures, mulches and straws. It sounds good, but.. I'm still at the tempted stage. Did today's warm weather give your garden a boost?

Hooray for kitkat's lemon tree - looking forward to more good news. :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 pm

You have to love this guy...here's Ben ...not finished his chookpen yet and asking about excess egg recipes! :lol: Now thats confidence :D :D :D

I had an omelette with salad from my garden for dinner last night ...very yum.
As to excess eggs ...well there is always a sponge with 8 eggs ...can be frozen for months ...my cat loves an egg yolk in her catmilk so I save the whites for pavlova or macaroons.A good egg custard can use six eggs easily as does a quiche and my christmas cake and puddings take a dozen each.I don't preserve eggs, though I believe that pickled eggs are very good ...just haven't ever had so many I needed to.Baking and freezing has always been my method of preference,cakes and biscuits are always needed in the country where we always "take a plate' to any function.I would be very careful about trying the vaseline preserving method ...I have never met anyone who did it and it doesn't sound too safe to me (just smearing the eggs with vaseline and packing them in paper or sand) ....but then ..maybe someone here does it and it works?????If so do tell...
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Herby » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:01 pm

heh, yeah well i gotta be prepared :)
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 pm

I have a friend who uses her eggs for bartering :lol: She even uses them at the beauty clinic :lol: :lol:
I used to put eggs down years ago in an egg preservative of some kind, it worked very well but doubt it's still available these days.
Marrion

Postby Herby » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Hi all, well the bricks are ordered!
went around and looked at seconds but they were around 50c each
I opted for besser cement bricks which are a lot bigger, almost 4 bricks in size so laying them will be less of a fiddle.

anyways so my idea was to render the bricks in a better colour than grey, but to my supprise, there are coloured cement bricks! :)
for $80 more than grey, i got desert fawn. the render would of cost a lot more than that and the extra day i'd need to do it.

so stage two is almost complete, the bricks will be here on friday! :D

oh Luzy, I saw that scoria stuff at a place today, incase you wanted to know the prices, i wrote 'em down.
7mm $50 m3, 14mm $52 m3, 20mm $55 m3
mine is the 7mm.
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:00 pm

How exciting Ben - chooks are getting closer! I reckon you did the right thing with the besser bricks and not having to render. And you will, of course, make sure that your chooks will be colour coordinated. Roll on Saturday - we'll be able to see the finished product then? :?

And thanks for the price check, too. My only problem is that I cannot imagine how far a cubic metre will go - a fair way, perhaps? :? Thanks again, Ben.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:26 pm

lol no not quite saturday :)

a cubic metre will go as far as you like, depends on the thickness :)
eg, 10 metres long x 2 metres wide x 2 inch thick 10x2x.05 = 1 m3
or if the paths were 1 metre wide then you would cover 20 metres
2 inches thick.
no need to go any thicker, but you'd want 2 inches.
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Herby » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:30 pm

oh and don't forget to lay down weed matting,
get the woven plastic type rather than the solid plastic
so you don't get puddles :)
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:35 pm

Thanks for that Ben, sounds nice and easy - I'll get the graph paper out. Though we're still far from that chore. Still go rubble to get rid of, a bit of a retaining wall near the back fence - but I think I'll get some more mulch first! :) And shouldn't have a puddle problem with our slope :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Great stuff Ben ..these chooks are going to enjoy living in their 'castle'..looking forward to seeing it finished. What sort of chooks are you going in for?
I am thinking of buying a dozen pure bred eggs as soon as one of my 'girls' goes clucky ...no signs yet though ...a bit early in the season perhaps ..and too cold still ..brrr.. today is just 9 deg here ....a real 'back to winter' day....my poor tomatoes and melons won't like it at all.
I brought the latest Australasian Poultry magazine yesterday and in it they have an article on growing forage for hens....though he talks about larger areas than a few plants it is quite interesting.I may try planting my orchard area down to lucerne for the chooks ....apparently I need to leave it a full season to establish first ...then they will just hoe into it.There are lots of ads for chickens and egg settings in the mag... ...am also tempted towards a small incubator but would rather use my hens ...cheaper and more natural ...we'll see what happens.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Herby » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:05 pm

bricks have arrived! :)
like the colour?
sunday is kickoff day

Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Very nice Ben, chooks should (better) appreciate your thought. Are those your spuds in the background?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:16 pm

yes they better :) and yep, the tyres are my spuds, the small bed there is the radichio's which are coming on great guns too.

hey kitkat, welcome back :) i keep meaning to grab a new copy of
that Poultry magazine, not every newsagent keeps it so i must subscribe.
i'm not confident enough to start off with fertile eggs, so i'll be going for starter pullets if i can.
have no idea at all where to buy them yet so the current mag should have some breeders selling stock.

I have a feeling i won't have a great choice of breed at the time that i'm ready to buy 'em, ideally i'd like a few brahma's or chochins in buff would be great (match the bricks)
and then maybe some orphingtons or araucana.
but definately a couple of purebred varieties, as it'll be a learning curve for me, i'd like to at least have a good knowledge on a couple breeds at this point, maybe one day i will expand to something your size kitkat :)

If you get a dozen eggs, won't half be boys?
what do you do with them? :shock:
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi Ben , Yes the ratio for boys is a bit higher than half usually ....and I'll eat em of course...yum home grown organic roast chicken. :P

Did I give you the website of Abundant Layers ? They have a lot of cross breeds and pure breds and are not too far from you ......well not far by my way of thinking :lol: ..it's 42ks for me to buy a carton of milk!
Lilydale area if I remember rightly ...but don't hold me to that! http//:www.abundantlayers.com.au

This link is a list of breeders in Vic...might help?
http://home.iprimus.com.au/onslo/vic.htm

here's an American site that has a lot of interesting info on it.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

I was once on a great Aussie site called the 'chookshed' but I can't find it anymore for some reason. :cry:
Ben I am just an old hen who likes chooks...... I am not in a big way at all believe me.....purely a backyarder......maybe I've had a few extra years to get some experience but I don't know it all by a long shot! :oops: And I love to hear from others on what they do and what works ....its all a learning process and I am never too old to learn. ( I went back to Uni at 55!) :wink:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:43 pm

The bricks are a great colour, Ben, am anxious to see the end result of all your work. Well done (Y)
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:49 pm

Found it ...I am so glad ...it's a great site....only found it via another sites web ring .....not by search for some reason .
You will enjoy this one I'm sure.

http://members.webone.com.au/~greggles/index.html

BTW ...breeding season is just starting so from now on there will be birds available right through until February/March when the breeders who show will cull their flocks to eliminate the wrong feathered birds etc.They wait until they get their feathers properly before deciding which birds to keep for showing.
kitkat
Head Curator

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce