what fruit trees should I plant

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Herby » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:22 am

I can see what you mean by them littles bulbies Ann :shock:
i started digging the oxalis out and shaking some dirt off
i noticed all these little white bulbs hanging off the roots
and falling back into the soil!

must be 30 or more per plant so i'm gonna have to do this carefully,
yeah i do like the flower but if those bulbies stay there i don't think
i'll be able to control it at all. :roll:
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:25 am

Thought I might find you posting here :lol: I have the same problem with Onion weed, Ben, just when I think I have eradicted it another green leaf pokes its head up, just keep trying to smother them as they appear seems to be the only way for my problem. Good luck with the Oxalis (yn)
Marrion

Postby Ann » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:09 pm

There is a much prettier pink oxalis which does not seem to be so rampant, :D but that could depend where you live!! :D My mother also spoke about sooking soursob stems. Would any children think of it these days? She was a country lass, but I was born and bred in the city. I do remember loving clover when on holiday in the country. :D
Wild garlic, Marrion, I seem to be pulling lots of that out, but have less of a problem with onion grass here. It's a shocker. :cry: Won't mow, won;t die :cry:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Soursob or sourgrass, thats the name we used to call it...not lemongrass ...I had forgotten. :? Well I have both here, onionweed and soursob but the soursob doesn't do much more than flower near wetter areas....where I might have a hose leak or tap leak...and i soon fix those up. I think its really too dry here for it to flourish but right now there are two small patches flowering, I'll be in trouble if it gets into the vegie beds or the shrub bed where the grey water goes. I hope the galahs dig up all the bulbs...they are concentrating on the oniongrass now.

Soon the black cockatoos will be here for the pinenuts off the casuarinas and the Gallipoli Pine.I have a Crested Pigeon nesting in the backyard Callistemon, she has two eggs and willie wagtail and the swallows are all busy nesting and I can hear a baby magpie in the big eucalypt near the chookpen...it's a lovely time of year. :D
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:43 pm

Kitkat, those birds sound fantastic. We usually have magpies tapping at the window by this time of year, and then staying around for a few months while they show off their kids (eating lots of earwigs and spiders and stuff along the way). But none yet :cry: Interesting that the galahs love sour grass and onion weed. Do the birds cause your fruit and vegies and flowers much grief?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

New Fruit Tree!

Postby Herby » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Today i got a new fruit tree! :D
it's a calamondin, got it for the front to go with the dwarf peach.
very impressive box it came in, hope i paid enough post :oops: :D
it was my first order and am very impressed with it all,
lotsa catalogues and stuff to read when i'm on the loo :) (that's were i do all my reading)

also got them jiffy blocks :shock: they are amazing :lol:
like magic they just expand, real cool 8)
another hour or so of daylight so must get back out there,
lots of new pics to add later too, the vege crop is starting to emerge.
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:03 pm

Hi Ben,

Nice looking healthy tree and the'final result' (as per the GE website) looks terrific (it is a cumquat, isn't it?? :oops: ). Looking forward to your pics - and the vegie progress 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:20 pm

hi Luzy,

it's close to a cumquat, bitter and that but more like mandarine skin
and round as apposed to most cumquats being droopy.
yes it should look great once it takes shape :)
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:56 pm

Hey Ben nice Calamondin.... :D you will be making marmalade next year! It makes really good marmalade and also Brandied cumquat is yummy ....but you need to let it sit in the cupboard for three to six months...and thats hard! :lol:

Luzy , one thing about having chooks is that it encourages other birds..they seem to think it must be safe to be here.Today I saw a trio of lovely lorikeets ...I think they were scaly breasted but not positive they too are into the onion grass down in the East paddock.My magpie family live above the chookpan in a high old eucalypt and Mum has never bombed me as I always talk to her....she must be used to me ....she also likes that I dig dirt for her to scratch about in I guess.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi kitkat,

I reckon you're right about the magpies and that most are really specific about who they attack - where I grew up kids would get bombed regularly but other people walking around (particularly ladies) would get only a song. 'Our' magpies haven't returned yet to tap on our window for our attention but they're still in the oak tree behind us. There was a fight today, and the victor perched on our washing line with a beakful of feathers - until he/she started to sing about what a great magpie he/she is. Feathers are in the compost bin now :lol: :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:54 pm

My poor Mrs Pigeon has lost her eggs! I am so peeved....she has been sitting so nicely and right at eye level so I coud talk to her each time I walked by....and today she wasn't there so I thought I'd peek at the eggs...none there! so I ferretted around in the grass and found one whole one and half a shell that was still wet ..I strongly suspect a pair of pardalotes that are chasing each other allover the place...noisy and aggressive they chase off all the other birds .
:cry: :cry: :cry:
[IMG]
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/an ... igeon1.jpg[/IMG][/img]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Herby » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:26 pm

Hi all,

how's everyone going?
It's absolutely pouring here at the moment.
thunder, lightning and hail!

my lemon/orange tree just got a revamp, i've cleened up the grass, raised it and mulched, needs lots more mulch than i anticipated, a dozen nasturtiums around the edge to brighten it up and finally found somewhere for my aloe.

This is my front edge finally completed today too, i have now doubled the width and reduced more grass, the sunflowers and cucumbers in, next year the mess of plants will be thinned out.
There's actually 6 rose bushes in amongst all that! :roll: :)

out of the pic, i have put in the calamondin.
I think by x-mas i'll remove all the grass there and mulch the lot!
the sand on top is very fine and dry , but it makes pulling out the couch grass a breeze! :)
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Kerrie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:36 pm

Wow, Ben, that looks grand... care to drop by my place for a working bee when you're finished there? :D

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:55 am

Sure is looking good, Ben, you have done so much work (Y) You are going to have a very productive garden. Don't forget those flowers will you? I think veggies and flowers work well together. I left you a post under "Irises" in the General Forum :)
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:58 am

Looks sensational Ben - you and Thumper have been busy. :D It's all so tidy - I can't wait for it all to grow up and get a more 'wilderness' feel! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:48 pm

hi Kerrie, yeah sure, soon as i'm done here i might be able to lend a hand :)

hi Marrion, the flowers are pretty much covered for this year if they come out aventually :)
the sunflowers are pretty and probably last longer than normal flowers for me, a long way to go though, there quite tiny.

oh yes Luzy, thumper has been a very keen observer out back but she doesn't like to hang aroung out front,
so i give her little chores, like keeping the pidgeons out of the shed :lol:
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Hey Ben you have been busy....it's all looking really good ....you will have a great harvest ....and don't worry about the 'jungle' look ...it's the natural way for nature to look! :D Is that redgum you have used around the beds? Looks great. I like the idea of using all the lawn area for growing food...both body and soul food of course.It will also increase the microclimate for the plants and they will all benefit.Thumper must be in bunny heaven with all that garden to romp in.

How is the chookpen coming along? I am waiting for Adam to arrive before I tackle the new pens...the posts are just too heavy for me alone :cry: Chooks are back on the lay though ...four eggs a day now...soon it will be six.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:08 pm

Hi again, Ben. Hope that Paul doesn't see your post about Thumper and the pigeons (!) - don't know what herbs and vegies he might want to add to that! And it also looks like you might have lots of little pockets to slip some bulbs in to later on :D . Have you had any luck with the bricks yet?

And kitkat, I reckon 'jungle' look is fantastic - the kind of thing that you can walk around for ages and always find something new. That's my excuse for a messy garden! :lol: :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Hiya Kitkat, yeah there redgum but they don't hold their color long.
well there's a house close by that has taken the jungle look to the extreme, i must go by and take some pics.
it's funny about the microclimate thingy as i was just reading my local council now encouraging growing shrubs ect out on the nature strips and mulching rather than having grass.
that's gotta be helpful to the environment if everyone goes that way,
it'll certainly allow for a lot more homes for insects and what not.

Hi Luzy! oh the bricks :roll: well if i didn't spend all my pennies on mulch and redgum, i'd probably have enough for bricks :)
looks like next week i'll get 'em and maybe start putting them up the following, so the chook shed is still a bit away unfortunately,
But the garden as a whole has been improving every day, so i'm happy with that.

Kitkat, 4 eggs a day is great!
enough for brecky and an omelette for lunch! :lol:
so, any good eggie recipes kitkat? what do you do with excess eggs?
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:42 am

[quote="Luzy"]Hi again, Ben. Hope that Paul doesn't see your post about Thumper and the pigeons (!) - don't know what herbs and vegies he might want to add to that!

Morning Luzy,

Guess what :!: :!: :!: I,m just around the corner with my trusty shot gun and bag of herbs.

Pidgeon stew coming up,yum,yum :P :P :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit and Produce