Idea sharing for surplus!

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Idea sharing for surplus!

Postby Susan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:53 am

I've just been reading the posts re surplus tomatoes, - perhaps we should have an exchange of recipes and ideas for these desperate situations!! I let the rocket self seed and now I could supply Woolies! Great success with Rocket soup, - which freezes really well, also pesto, which is also a nice gift, but doesn't keep. I gave tomatoes to a friend, who later returned with "Tomato and apple jam" Absolutely DELICOUS with some lovely brie.
Button squash that get too big can be exchanged for egg plant in Moussaka, - I just brush them with a little oil and grill first.
Any more suggestions?

Susan
Susan
Weeder

Postby Ann » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:23 pm

I made delicious tomato jam with raspberry essence when I had a pack of teenagers at home. Thanks for the hint on moussaka, Susan. I'll prob get some overlarge ones.They are nice in a zucchini slice too just sliced up.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

extras

Postby Kerrie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:32 am

That's a brilliant idea, I don't know why someone hasn't already thought to start a thread like this.

With extra cucumbers we make old-fashioned 'bread and butter' pickles, where you slice the cucumbers and pickle in vinegar and pickling spices - pepper, mustard seed, dill, whatever combination you fancy.
You can use the same method to pickle extra zucchini, which makes a crunchy pickle to add to sandwiches or a deli platter.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Linda » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:46 pm

I'd just be happy if my tomatoes would ripen :cry: I've got enough green tomato chutney from last year to supply the army. So what will I do if they don;t ripen :evil:

Linda
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Ann » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:57 pm

I realised in bed last night that the green tomatoes were just that :oops: -an heirloom variety. So I picked some this morning and they were good. :D I have not had great crops this year, but I have not given them the TLC I did last year and they are rambling around. But I'll have enough. Zucchini, tomato, onion and mini pepper for tea to go with the Chicken Kiev-delicious :D
Ann
Garden Wizard

Tomatoes

Postby Marrion » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Cheer up Astra, :) I think the whole of Tassie is having a tomato-ripening problem this year, so far I have only picked two off my plants. My nurseryman tells me that he is having the same problem.. :(
Marrion

Tomatoes

Postby Marrion » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:26 pm

I wonder if its possible to do sun-dried green tomatoes :?:
Marrion

Drying green tomatoes

Postby Susan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:39 am

Hi Marion!
I found this on the web, - I need to do something other than green tomato chutney! I haven't tried this, but at least it shows you can dry green tomatoes!
I will only be planting cocktail tomatoes next year, they seems to be more reliable!

Sun-Dried Green Tomato Pesto

1.5 cups sun-dried green tomatoes
1.5 cups pitted Kalamata olives
4 Cloves garlic diced
2 cups parsley chopped
1 cup pine nuts or walnuts
1 cup Olive oil

Slice 5-6 large green tomatoes. Dry until papery in sun under cheesecloth or in slow oven. Mix all ingredients in a food processor until pesto reaches desired consistency. Makes 3 cups. Serve over pasta or crostini.
Susan
Weeder

Green Tomatoes

Postby Marrion » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Susan, I have one for drying tomatoes in the oven somewhere (it will be interesting to see how it turns out with green ones), so I shall look it up and try your recipe
Marrion

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:26 am

Morning All,

I know its early but I couldnt sleep,but I come up with this idea :lol:

With all these recipes being suggested by the ladies of this forum why dont we start up a recipe section like we have one for roses and fruit and veges and the others to go with it.

What does everbody think of the idea, I know the fellas will think I have flipped my lid at this time of night/morning but what the heck.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:35 pm

I have not dried anything this year, so no green toms to use, but I do still have red ones in oil from last year and been eating a lot more olives, so can try this as I love pasta. :D And as for lasagne gardening :oops: , I am having a pumpkin lasagne for tea as I have lots of pumpking this year :D
Ann
Garden Wizard

Surplus

Postby Marrion » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi all,
Anyone tried making Zuchinni soup :?: It is one of my favourites. Recipe as follows:
Fry non-fat bacon bits lightly
Cut up Zuchinni and Onions and saute in butter (optional)
Add to bacon bits in a large saucepan with chicken stock
Add basil, corriander (or preferred herbs) nutmeg and a dash of curry powder.
Simmer until cooked and put through a blender - delicious.
Have not given quantiities because I think this is an individual thing, I like a thick soup so I put in heaps of zuchinni. (Y)
Marrion

Postby Ann » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:45 pm

Brilliant idea, Marrion!! I have quite a few large gold either zucchini or squash and apart from pancakes they are a bit bland. Now I can put them to better use. If they do as well next year, I think I had better plant more leeks and onions!!!
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:41 pm

Paul Spence wrote:Morning All,

I know its early but I couldnt sleep,but I come up with this idea :lol:

With all these recipes being suggested by the ladies of this forum why dont we start up a recipe section
like we have one for roses and fruit and veges and the others to go with it.

What does everbody think of the idea, I know the fellas will think I have flipped my lid at this time of night/morning but what the heck.

Regards,
Paul.

Hey there's some good recipes in this thread too, must try that zuchini soup Marrion
i'm trying to grow these giant zuchini but all theve done so far is rot before they sprout :(
but if they ever come good, that recipe will come in handy! 8)
Herby
Groundsperson

alternate idea

Postby jack » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Another idea for surplus produce, well have done this with watermelon and pumpkins in the past.
Talk to your local welfare stores, in this shire we have the salvos, saint vinnies and several other smaller local welfare shops. i found they are more than happy to take some from you to give away to the less able to garden members of your area.
jack
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce