My Fruit Trees Are So Dry!

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

My Fruit Trees Are So Dry!

Postby Ladybird » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:54 pm

:( Well my fruit trees that I planted last winter look as though they are dying of thirst. I only have tank water so cannot give them a drink. I am hanging onto the fact that the winter rains will be here shortly. Being in Tasmania thats one guarantee. !! Does anyone have any idea of how I can save these plants for next year. Also do you get fruit off of fruit trees that are too dry? Thanks :?:
Gardening is good for the soul.
Ladybird
Cultivator

Postby Astar » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Hi Ladybird, I guess it depends on how much work you want to go to and how far away from the house your trees are. I have citrus trees in large tubs out the back door and I use the washing water on them. I also have a bucket in the laundry trough to catch the water from washing hands. If you are really keen, put a plastic bowl in the sink when you wash the dishes and use that water. I know someone who puts a plastic bowl (large one) in the shower and stands in that for their shower and uses that on the garden. Fruit trees cost too much to just let them die. :cry:
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:30 am

A lot of the fruit trees are looking stressed because of the dry spell but depending on what sort they are, they are approaching their dormant period anyway so its natural that they start to look a bit fractured. If it's been windy your way, the leaves will have been knocked about too. I would just give them a bit of water. but remember they are deciduous and will be losing leaves now ready to go to sleep for the winter. I am espaliering my apples ( 2 year old) and waiting until they go to sleep before trimming off the branches I don't need. My plum tree looks woeful but I know it will come again and peach and apricots are starting to get ready for winter.

I'd suggest you give them just enough water that you can spare, then put a nice mulch around them ( not up to the trunk but enough to spread to the dripline. This will preserve any water in the ground and stop it evaporating. By the time the rain comes they will probably be dormant anyway and the mulch will break down and feed to new growth in spring.

Cheers
Linda
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Ann » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:54 pm

Are you a Gardening Australia fan? A couple of weeks ago Peter Cundall showed off his garden, totally organic near Launceston. His orchard was stunning :D and he said that all he did was deep mulch with grass cut by a friend from the field next door, no extra water.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

thanks

Postby Ladybird » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Gardening Australia is fantastic he is great!
Maybe they are just going to sleep. I hope so I wouldnt like to send them to bed thirsty giggle!
Gardening is good for the soul.
Ladybird
Cultivator

Return to Fruit and Produce