lime tree

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

lime tree

Postby yungbuns » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:16 am

We have a Tahitian Lime, in a half wine barrel.
The planting instructions did not specify much,other than water once a week when established.
Does it need protection from frost ?
Lots of sun ?
Are Limes also shallow rooted ?
A lot of it's leaves were blown off (late winter last year), but it survived, & now has lots flowers developing, & a few more leaves.
yungbuns

Postby Kerrie » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:27 am

Citrus trees tend to be reasonably hardy, in my experience. I'd add a few handfuls of slow-release fertiliser to improve cropping. They do better in full or partial sun than in shade, as do most fruiting plants. You can grow them in shade but you'll probably end up with a smaller and later crop of fruit.

This is a little dependant on climate - you don't say which part of Australia you are in, so I'm making generalities here :)

Frost will kill off the blossom if it's severe, but once the fruit is established it will survive pretty much anything except possums as long as the water supply is consistent.

Many citrus trees are designed to thrive in containers, but they are more prone to fluctuting temperatures in the soil that way, so it's important not to let the soil dry out completely in the summer.

Keep an eye out for black spots or a white dust on the leaves, these are indicative of disease which needs treating. Otherwise, it should pretty much thrive on neglect! Look up a guide on pruning for your particular variety of tree, some need very little, others appreciate being cut back every couple of years.

Enjoy!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Astar » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:55 pm

I too have a tahitian lime in a half wine barrel and it is doing really well. First year only a couple of limes but this year has been better. I feed mine with a citrus fertiliser, bury old bits of iron around it, mulch well but keep away from the trunk (I found a bit of draincoil which is thin black poly pipe with lots of holes in it and cut it into about 75mm lengths then sliced up the length so you can spread it open and put around the trunk), and water regularly because they dry out a lot quicker in the tubs. Even with the mulch, they seem to dry out on the top and being shallow rooted, they soon droop.
Mine cop all the afternoon sun as they are on the N/W side of the house.
Flowers are like people, each unique in their own way.
Astar
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce