Dog Poo.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Dog Poo.

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:52 pm

Afternoon everybody,

I have heard that you can use doggy poo as a garden manure of sorts.
One thought was to soak in water and crush it in the water to liquify it as
best as possible then pour it over the garden and dig it in.

I would like to here everybodies comments on this and ideas that they
might have on it.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:19 pm

You can absolutely use it as a fertiliser, another option is to bury it in a hole in a garden you don't want the dog to dig in, as the smell will encourage it not to dig there.

The only thing to be careful of is to not use it near fruit trees or vegetable plantings, as droppings of carnivorous animals can harbour bacteria that shouldn't come near our food source.

I have a fairly large dog who leaves a shovel-ful of droppings scattered around the yard each day, I often threaten to stick a cork in him :) I use a worm bin to dispose of them and throw in green and brown materials to help them decompose. Of course, even composted, I don't use the produce of this on my vegetable garden.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:21 am

Morning Kerrie,

Thanks for the info I had a feeling that there was some parts of some gardens that I couldnt use it in.
My main thought now is to use it to stop the dog a cross cattle dog from
digging any further holes around the back yard and my gardens.
I am now thinking of can I use the liquid on my flower gardens.
Your thoughts on this would be a great help and anybody who has any ideas on this as well.

Have a nice day everybody.

Reagrds,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:34 am

That sounds pretty logical - if you notice dogs' natural behaviour, they tend to avoid their droppings on the ground and 'go' in a different place next time (unless you've been fortunate enough to train them to only use one corner of the backyard!).

If you find it doesn't work immediately, try sprinking a little ground pepper on top of the area you want the dog to stay away from, it's good for about three days and will act as a repellant without adding any chemicals to the ground.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Neesha » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:48 pm

I'm a veterinary nurse, and am new to the garden lovers scene. I'm not certain about the fertilising side of it, but whenever you handle or mix the dog poo, don't forget to wear gloves etc. There are plenty of nasties (bacteria, worms and eggs) in it that can cause problems.

Happy & Safe Gardening :D

Neesha
Neesha

Postby Kerrie » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:25 pm

LOL Neesha, you won't get me as close as a rubber glove to it! I stay at the other end of the shovel - and it's a loooong shovel :)

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Dogs

Postby jack » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:47 pm

have a 16 week old rotty cross huntaway or i think 16 week old tunnelling machine. Have been told to use dog do do's in his holes to stop him from digging their. so far this is working a treat, just need more dogs to keep up.
he has a fascination for eating plant roots, palms and spuds. so have used the droppings now around the more expensive stone fruit trees.
anyone else have some solutions other than amputation i can try on the pup?
jack
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:15 pm

I think the main thing I have heard re dog poo is to be careful if the animals have been on antibiotics - these can harm the garden.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:18 pm

Hey that's a good idea! makes total sense! :)
I used to have a bluey and tought it to take a slash around the lemon tree!
took care of the grass aswell!
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:59 pm

Making it into a liquid manure is by far the safest way to go ...just suspend a hessian bag over a pole on an old garbage bin full of water ,,then use the 'tea' to water the flowers ,shrubs etc ..you can also add any other weeds or manure to this mix to enhance it too....nettles are great as they help plants add resistance to disease dilute the mixture to the colour of black tea before applying so you don't burn any plants...its great for seedlings too....but not vegies OK.It's ready to use in a week ...much faster than compost too.Later you can add more water to keep it topped up , then when you think its donme its job bury it under a fruit tree or add it to the compost ...good stuff.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Lotte » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:47 am

I've been told not to use dog or cat droppings in the ground at all. Obviously they can contain worming agents which can kill any worms which come into contact with it.

I'd use it to stop the dog digging, but a much better idea is to create an area for the dog to dig - a small sandpit would be good.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Lotte
Groundsperson

Return to Fruit and Produce