Lima Beans - Madagascar Beans - Suggestions for Use?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Lima Beans - Madagascar Beans - Suggestions for Use?

Postby Sam » Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 am

We planted four seeds last year, only one plant survived - luckily - because it is huge and producing quite nicely. The grasshoppers are even leaving it alone now - for a while our daughter called it the 'Grasshopper Vine'.

Now we have another problem - how do we use them? We've got a lot of nice dry beans but the only recipe I seem to find is for succotash, or on american websites, for using the tinned variety.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prepare and use?

Thanks for your help!

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Sun May 15, 2005 12:31 pm

If you boil them in a little salted water until they are soft, then you can use them in any recipe that asks for tinned beans. I love to use these in soups and stews, I don't actually use a recipe I just add them in to whatever I am making. Do cook them for 30 mins-1 hour first depending on the cooking time of whatever you are making.

If you want to use them on their own, why not boil them and make a puree with butter and a little garlic, salt and pepper? Makes a nice accompaniment to a meat dish.

Here's an example of how I might use them in a 'country style' soup.
Fry off 1 chopped onion & two strips chopped bacon, fat trimmed off.
Add in chopped celery and carrot, cook five minutes.
Place lamb neck or shanks in with vegetables, cover with water, add spices and seasonings - either standard soup herbs (parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns), or go for a middle-eastern flavour with some turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander, cloves, etc.
Add in beans and simmer for an hour.
If you want to make a thick soup, add in a cup of red lentils with the beans, after an hour they will have cooked to a thick mush and give a lot of body and nutrition to the soup, or you can add risoni pasta for texture.
For winter days, the lamb and lentil combination can't be beat - especially when served with some fresh bread on the side.

I hope this gives you some inspiration! As you can see, I'm not hung up on quantities, every time I make this soup it's a little different, but it's always tasty.
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Sam » Sun May 15, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks for that, Kerrie, sounds beautiful.

Something you might like to try with the lamb and lentils - I've made a lovely greek lamb stew (nigella lawson), and it is topped with crumbled feta and oregano. Since then, we tried the feta on pea and ham soup and it makes a really nice combination and is fantastic with lamb.

I'll let you know when we try the lima beans!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 7:48 am

very interesting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to Fruit and Produce