Butternut Pumpkin.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Butternut Pumpkin.

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Tue May 24, 2005 6:19 pm

Evening all.

My pumpkin leaves,not all of them are starting to go a yellowy colour it
is still flowering and does not show any other symptoms at this time.

Do I need to feed it something if so what I dont want to pull it out just yet.
Is it by chance that winter coming on that it is time for it be pulled out if
so why is it still flowering.
I have a couple of small pumpkins on it as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Tue May 24, 2005 8:26 pm

Hi Paul,
I think it's the wrong season for pumpkins, all my marrow-related plants stopped producing over a month ago. I didn't pull out all the plants and the ones that are still alive continue to produce flowers, but they don't develop into fruit - it's too cold now. I'd pull them up and plant again in spring.

Most plants have a self-defence mechanism that makes them flower when under stress, to try and produce seed before they die.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Sam » Wed May 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Would that be why my watermelon just shrivelled up and died? I was growing it from seed and it seemed to be coming on quite nicely.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Wed May 25, 2005 1:34 pm

I had a few flowering pumpkins as well but it's far too cold to fruit so they all got pulled out. :D I still have tomatoes flowering and a few fruit, :D but they may last over winter. I tool a few cuttings as well as they will be able to go out before seedlings are ready. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Thu May 26, 2005 4:01 pm

Yes, Sam - waaay too late for watermelon, they have to be planted in Spring to be mature enough to fruit early summer so that they have enough heat to grow and ripen the fruit before it cools again.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Sam » Thu May 26, 2005 4:32 pm

I thought I'd give it a bash - a couple of books said okay for Qld at this time...can't wait for summer to try again. I've got the 'moon and stars' variety from Diggers Club - green skin with a large yellow moon and yellow stars on the skin.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Fri May 27, 2005 7:55 am

It's worth trying again, a lot depends on your microclimate and the weather this year! Qld does have a huge variety of climate, after all.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri May 27, 2005 11:05 am

Kerrie wrote:It's worth trying again, a lot depends on your microclimate and the weather this year! Qld does have a huge variety of climate, after all.

Kerrie

A lot better than Melbourne any way.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Fri May 27, 2005 12:29 pm

I have to admit it is a fantastic time of year up here - still able to wear shorts and t-shirts during the day and it is lovely in the garden to still be able to grow tomatoes and salad leaves. What I can't believe is that we still have plenty of mosquitos around...still, we take the good with the bad.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:45 am

g'day paul,

depends which leaves are turning yello mate? if it is the older leaves then no worries that happens. i always turn my vine runneres back over themsleves so that the new vigorous leaves protect the fruit and main stem from the sun. pumpkins will grow all through summer and dies off in early winter that is the prime time to pick the fruit as it has ripened on the vine.

herby, if it is a zucchini it won't grow a vine or leader most likley a pumpkin i'd say you would only get zucchinin if you had seed fro mature fruit and the fruit you buy for eating is very young immature fruit, a mature zuce' gets quiet large.

sam, this is the season for shorts and less hey? and the mozzies won't be getting any less for along time yet so keep the tropical strength aerogard handy hey? also sam you would need your melons up and growing by last frost or cold at the start of spring mate any you plant now won't be ready until maybe february into march. next year plant seeds into pots inside or in a warm sheltered spot then ppamnt seedlinga after they have their second leaves grwoing well wit the thirds on the way, plant in full sun and keep very well mulched and watered, water is very important for water melons hence the name.
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:12 am

Len,

The weather comments were from May - it was beautiful then. Now the mozzies threaten to carry us away without the repellent!

Have replanted the watermelons and they are looking great - all have taken off beautifully, taking over the beds as they go.

Even the leaves have yellow spots - can't wait to see the fruit. Will post pictures for sure!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce