lime trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

lime trees

Postby part time gardiner » Tue May 31, 2005 2:40 pm

I have a tahitian lime tree in a concrete pot,recently leaves have started to curl and branches look a bit scrappy at the ends ,also a white sugary powder has appeared at the joint between lime and branch ,we live in a coastal area ?? please help as the tree was a gift from my mother.....i will utilise the urine and scrap iron advise ,anything else??
part time gardiner

Postby Sam » Tue May 31, 2005 4:22 pm

Our lime tree periodically suffers from leaf miner. The leaves start to curl up and look revolting. The best picture I found of it was in a pest guide at the local Bunnings store - I took a leaf in to identify it. The pictures in our books didn't look anything like it.

We just cut all the affected leaves off and put in the rubbish bin - definately not in the compost. It still produces limes - it seems not to affect the production.

Good luck!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue May 31, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm wondering whether the concrete pot might be leaching lime (pardon the pun) into the potting mix. They like a PH of around 5.5 to 6.5, so it may be too alkaline.

It would be worth doing a ph test.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:02 pm

The weather all over Oz has been everything from drought to flood to tornado. :cry: Maybe that had something to do with it. Or maybe you need to test the soil. Is the easy test to shake some soil in water and add vinegar and see if bubbles come off-it's too alkaline? Or buy a test kit!!! :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce