Onion Sets

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Onion Sets

Postby Linda » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:20 pm

Has anyone used onion sets instead of seed? I usually plant three varieties every year, but the thought of that backbreaking task of spacing those little seedlings is adding to the aging process. :wink: I though that sets might be an alternative way to go. I'm told they need not be planted in winter as I usually do and that they mature quicker so maybe I can get two crops - whatyerreckon? I use masses of onions in my cooking and have a real aversion to commercially grown ones, so I try to plant enough to store, so yield is important.

Cheers
Linda
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Linda
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Astra,

Did you end up trying the onion sets? I have bought some but they're not supposed to go in until October - some shot early and I put them in two weeks ago (shoots are now about three inches tall) and the others will go in this weekend. A bit of an expensive way to get onions (compared to seeds) - but much easier. :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi Luzy,

I haven't put them in yet because we keep getting cold nights and heavy rain - so I thought I'd wait a bit. I am going to put them in towards the end of this month. I have put in some potato onions though and they have quite good tops on them - I am told they grow underground like potatoes and are more or less perennial onions. They look healthy. I also put in some seedlings for my red onions but they are sulking because of the changing weather here in Tas. I agree its expensive but by saving sets next year it will hopefully be a one time buy!

Busy building a greenhouse in the blustery wind so soon I'll be able to extend the growing season!

All the best
Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi Linda,

Greenhouse - very nice. :D And snap with the potato onions, too. I put some in a while ago and they took off but have now stagnated. Maybe I'm too impatient? :lol: And I do have to ask: How do you save the sets? :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:15 pm

I have no idea - it seems logical to just keep some of the little onions after cropping them? I'm strictly a play it by ear type of gardener :lol: The greenhouse is nearly finished, we've built it ourselves so it's cost much less than a kit would have. I beleive with potato oninos you just leave some in the ground and the come again the following year.

Forecast rain and wind again tomorrow - no sign of spring here yet!

Cheers
Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:23 am

The greenhouse is nearly finished, we've built it ourselves so it's cost much less than a kit would have.

Pictures, please :?: :?:

And some of your rain would be nice. I'm told we can expect 37degrees here on Saturday. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:37 am

I'll be putting some up on my website when it's complete - have taken some progressive shots but with only one good day a week it's taking time. Nearly finished though. I've now officially retired from lecturing and consulting and other astro activities and will be able to spend more time on the cosmic garden and slowly convert my website into a gardening one. I'll let you know when I've uploaded them.

Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:53 am

Yes, Linda, Picture would be wonderful - looking forward to that. Could be fun trying for some sets - whichever way it works out!

And Pam, 37!! :shock: What a shame we can't swap a bit of our cool to cold with some of your hot and make it all nice and warm! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:25 pm

...... and it's still only early Spring! :(
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:48 pm

I have put some progress pics up in the gallery on this forum. Will add more as we make progress, we are making the doors and vents now because we can work indoors! Spring - :roll:
Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Sam » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:54 pm

Spring in Queensland now lasts about a week and a half.

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:56 pm

Let me know the dates and I'll fly up there. Spring in Tassie happens for a day - about once a week- for 3 months. All we need is a week of fine weather to warm the soil and we are off and running. Summer starts in Fenruary for a week or two - so I'm hoping we don;t have to put up with this pseudo-winter-spring for much longer. Tonight we are warned about 140k an hour winds - then a top of 14 tomorrow..... this is the worst October I remember for a long time. Thanks for the ray of sunshine (not). :cry:

Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Marrion » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi Linda, I think we have fared better in the south east as far as nice days go. We prayed for some of your rain. As I have plenty of water, my garden has thrived up until these wretched winds and cold we are having at the moment :cry:
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:31 pm

Guess that this is a bit of a turn-around - Melbourne's weather hasn't been cursed for at least, oh, what, umm, three days? That's just like what I call our real summer - three days that happen sometime bewteen December and March. :lol:

Seriuosly, hope you survive the heat (and arctic conditions) - and that a bit of a more settled pattern happens for a while (yn) (yn) (yn)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:32 am

Spring in Queensland now lasts about a week and a half.

I think it was more like a minute and a half here, Sam.

Less than a week into September,and I stopped checking the thermometer yesterday at 1.00pm when it hit 36 degrees - anything hotter I didn't want to know about. :roll:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:45 am

As I have plenty of water, my garden has thrived up until these wretched winds and cold we are having at the moment
That's the killer where we are too - it is always windy to some extent here but close to the Cape we seem to funnel the NW wind right through my backgarden. This has been a particularly cold wind this year so it doesn't encourage outdoor activity too much even though the glimmer of spring peeks out for about 5 minutes now and then. The problem with tall windbreaks is that they often shade things too early in the day, so it's rock and hard place. :cry: We need the soil to warm up which it is usually doing by now, but its getting down to 3 degrees at night which is just enough to negate any benefits from the odd sunny day! Ah well, at least we are not getting blown up or starving. Summer will come eventually. I'm off for some R&R in Melbourne at the end of this month, so please turn on some weather for me!
Off to help clad the erection.....oops :oops: - that sound rude but I'll leave it in anyway...Linda
Linda
Propagator

Postby Marrion » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:16 pm

It sure is interesting to compare the difference in our weather, Linda. We had such a warm winter here (which I blame for my poor tulip blooms). We had a couple of days snow and then it warmed up again and hasn't been too bad up until recently, we are exposed to the southerlies a bit here and when that wind comes off that southern ice-box there is nothing to shelter us. However, I think you get far more wind than we do here, after all you aren't that far from Cape Grim, but you do live in a lovely area of the state, I always enjoy my trips up there.
Have a great time in Melbourne (at least you can't spend money on plants there :lol: :lol:
Marrion

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 pm

It's the Tulip Festival this week and most of the blooms that were out have had their heads blown off. So its far from a pleasant experience up on the Cape - still lots of colour but it won't last long. Funny enough, Table Cape tends to shelter us a bit from the West so we don't get all that Smithton/Stanley weather, but this year it has been more South Westerly, so it sneaks round the Cape. We've had huge rains which makes clay soil a bugger to work with! I'm aways amazed at the variation of climate in the little distance. :roll:
Linda
Propagator

Postby Marrion » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:46 pm

Have always promised myself that I would go up there for the Tulip Festval but haven't done it yet, all those lovely blooms ruined by the damn wind :evil:
Hobart was lucky with theirs, had beautiful weather last weekend for it.
Marrion

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:52 pm

There's always next year. We have a nice guest room too.

L
Linda
Propagator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce