Treated Wood for Vegetable Garden

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Treated Wood for Vegetable Garden

Postby Suzanne8 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:39 am

I currently have treated wood lining my veggie beds and wondered if anyone knows how likely it is that the beds can be contaminated? We are building some more beds soon and have purchased untreated redgum but don't really want to replace all the old beds unless I have to.

Suzanne
Suzanne8

Postby Marrion » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:38 pm

This is a subject open to debate. My philosphy is "if in doubt -DON'T). The companies that sell the treated timbers tell us that there is not a problem but most professional gardeners shy away from the product as they suspect that the arsenic may leach out into the soil and I am not prepared to take the risk.
Marrion

Postby Suzanne8 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:49 pm

My husband asked the timber yard when he collected the wood today and they gave him a leaflet. Whilst it goes on about how safe it is, it does also say "from the end of March 2006, the following changes will be required.
CCA treated timber will not be permitted for use as handrails, decking boards, picnic tables and children's playground equipment. These products will need to be treated with an alternative timber treatment such as ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary).
All other products such as fences, bearers, joists or other structural timbers where frequent contact is unlikely, are unaffected by this change"
Mmmmmm... I'm thinking it's not a good idea in the veggie garden. Hubby and I have decided not to take a chance and we are ripping up all the old beds and replacing them.
Suzanne
Suzanne8

Treated wood

Postby Otto » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:31 pm

Just a reminder that if you're disposing of CCA treated timber it can't be burnt!
Otto

Return to Fruit and Produce