Potatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Potatoes

Postby Nut » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Hope someone can help me. A long time ago someone told me that I could grow potatoes in a tower made of tyres. Unfortunately I am not quite sure how to go about it.
:cry:

Does anyone know something about it?
:D Thanks
Nut
Apprentice

easy

Postby jack » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:44 pm

its easy to do and i can type all day, i do it at my place each year. but a simple website to get info from with pictures is far quicker way to explain it.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1997/archives/27/in_the_garden/herbs,_fruit_and_vegetables/potatoes_in_tyres
jack
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 pm

I started growing potatoes in stacks last year, and would like to add a couple more pieces of information in hindsight.
- Drill holes in the sidewalls of the tires for drainage, as when it rains heavily the sides of the tires collect and pool water under the soil.
- don't be too quick to add tyres to the stack, wait until the plant is starting to bud potatoes close to the surface before adding another tyre and soil, or you'll just stress the plant into producing taller leaf growth without actually encouraging potatoes to grow in the upper layer of tyre.

Most caryards/panelbeaters/etc will be more than happy to give you old tyres, as they normally have to pay for tyre removal and disposal. If you find that someone actually wants to charge you for old tyres, go to the next panelbeater! The guys who loaded up my boot for me told me to come back anytime and take all I needed. Hmm, maybe I should look at making garden edging out of old tyres? Something to think about :D

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:59 am

And furthermore, Kerrie, a tyre change would cost you $10 less - more money for the garden! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

What about harvest?

Postby Luzy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:03 pm

I love the idea of potaotes in tyres, especially for space (backyards only go so far...) but do you have to harvest all the potatoes at once? I also love "stealing" new potatoes as they start growing.
Cheers!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:25 pm

No, you don't have to harvest them all at once, you can still 'bandicoot' them (reach under the soil and dig around for potatoes without disturbing the roots) but when you want to harvest them all it's just a matter of lifting off the layers of tyres instead of digging up the whole gardenbed.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby kitkat » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:21 pm

I too grow my potatoes in tyre stacks ..after all tyres last 30,000 years in the environment ..we should recycle them . I use straw and household discards and compost in layers with potatoes planted in the compost/straw layer. I add tyres and straw as the leaves reach the top. other than a few bug holes nothing seems to bother them at all.I also grow my garlic in a tyre fence around my vegie garden and strawberries will go in next week.The fence protects the beds from winds and adds to the levels and space.I keep one empty for household composting and add a little straw and compst to keep it moving each addition.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:59 pm

Wow, kitkat, that tyre fence sounds interesting. I imagine that the insulation (mulch quality) would be great, especially in Victorian winters. Do you harvest the garlic by tipping the tyres over? How often do you turn the tyres for new compost/produce and how high is the fence? Hope this isn't too many questions...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:04 am

I'm fascinated by the concept too, I don't suppose you can put up a photo?

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Next time SiL is down he should be getting a full service and new tyres on the car. Maybe I can grab the old tyres. :D I cry every time I look at the catalogues (and the lifestyle shows) and see all the potatoes available in the east. :cry:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

tyre garden

Postby kitkat » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:56 pm

I am sorry I can't post any pics yet as my computer doesn't have that sort of access....it is an old early 90s model ...so slow! LOL

The garlic is growing on top of full two stack tyres which I slowly filled with kitchen waste and straw/compost mix.Then planted with
the garlic ..and the strawberries will go in with them when they arrive from GE.So those tyres are really just higher garden beds I guess.

The potato stacks are higher, 3-4 tyres high on the western (windiest) boundary of the garden. You can go as many tyres high as you like but after three I think you may need to put a stake through the centre to make sure they don't fall over...not that mine ever had but you never know. I am also forcing some rhubarb in an empty two tyre stack as an experiment and it is growing really well in the shelter of the tyres.I'll try an early tomato too and see how that goes as the tyres are good insulation and protection from frost.

Tyres are now being used as foundations for alternative buildings and even as walls that are rendered afterwards with a similar mix as on mud brick ..great ideas for something that lasts that long and free and cheap ....might be a great interesting warm chook pen???.I am in the process of collecting enough tyres to build a strawbale/tyre studio but it will take a while.

You can often get tyres for the asking at tyre service shops as they have to pay to have them taken away ...but that will change as ideas get into gear for reusing the rubber so get in early if you want them.

I have soaker hose made from recycled tyres right through my garden...it works a treat but I made the mistake of buying the smallest size and should have got the larger to allow for my drier climate...I just have to add a bit extra water in Summer in compensation.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:24 pm

We've tried similar, but managed to get truck tyres - worked very well. Tyre place glad to give away, they cost even more to dump than car tyres!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Whooo hoo!!! This looks fantastic :D . I hope we'll get a running progress report (why the drilled holes?)

Looking forward to seeing your harvest Ben!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Wow Ben how tidy and neat you are! LOL My tyres have a decided lean after four tall...comes from having tyres of different sizes I guess but beggars can't be choosers I take whatever is offering and work it all out later. I agree that too much straw too soon can give leggy growth with fewer potatoes, I add straw as leaves begin to darken and fill out the tyre.

Luzy my garlic is planted in the top of a two tyre stack so I just pull garlic as required I don't need to push over the stack ...thats for tyres more than four high and mainly potatoes , though you can just lift off the top one or two to bandicoot a few new spuds as required....nice!

I am about to fill another side fence of tyres and plant out to pumpkins...when it is all growing well I'll take a pic for you...just now its all newly planted so nothing to see yet....just a row of decidedly crooked tyres. :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:06 pm

I have five garlic plants to a tyre and a few odd marigolds or leeks in as well.

I like the drilled holes idea ..thanks for sharing that one.Water does tend to gather in the rounded walls so the holes will be great to help with drainage.I'll be doing that from now on too. I tend to get my tyres in twos and threes so never have enough at once to make a wider base and graduating sides but when I pull them down I do change things around...still get leans sometimes..it's lucky I am an artist and like curves huh? :wink:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:09 pm

I think that cucumbers would do well in tyres too ..they, like pumpkins, would ramble over the sides and cover the tyre as well as being up off the ground. I have planted a few strawberries in one to see how they go too.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:15 am

Luzy, if you don't have the holes, the water pools in the sides of the tyres.

Looking good, Ben. :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:33 pm

Hi Ben,

How are those spuds doing? Are there shoots poking through yet? :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:36 pm

SiL did get a full tyre change and gave me the old ones :D :D Now comes the hard part: digging out soil to fill them!! :cry: :cry: Is it too hot for potaotes in summer? It's been 25 here today after the hail at the weekend. I have also a trailer of mulch and potting soil to move. Got 4 weeks to do it :D :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Surely the potatoes should be right through some heat Ann - last year we harvested from December to March (and in Melbourne we get at least three really hot days through that time :lol: ). And I've only just read (in a really old gardening book) to keep some of the earlier harvest to make an autumn harvest. Then again, they also talk about using chemicals that are now banned... :? :? :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce