Potatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby kitkat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:05 pm

You are right Luzy ..at least in the south of Aust spuds begin in December and go through til about April if we are lucky. In the old days it was always a race to try and have some new spuds for boxing day ...for the potato salad! :D
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Kerrie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:28 pm

I love the idea of planting garlic in the top tyre with the spuds! I'll be making myself tyre walls at some time in the next year, just as soon as I've caught up on all the jobs I wanted to do this year and didn't get around to.

I've been looking out at my poor, neglected garden, waiting for the day when I am fit enough to get back to gardening again! It should only be a few more weeks now, I am looking forward to it SO much!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:57 am

Talking about tyres, would it be MUCH easier to plant them and then keep adding just pea straw as they sprout. I can get that locally with no labour needed. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Thats the best way Ann.....just add some straw and when the tops green off get a bit bigger then add another layer of straw and another tyre and just keep on doing that until it is high as you want ..you can add a bit of compost or manure under the straw if you want but they don't really need it ..all the growing power and nutrients is in the spud already.

The potato will add babies to each layer as the stem that is covered will shoot again and have more spuds so from one spud you can get several layers of potatoes ,I usually plant three or four to a tyre.You can bandiccot from between the tyres as they are not heavy with dirt. If you use soil or compost it will be a lot heavier and probably need to be pushed over to harvest all at once.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:10 pm

Yoo Hoo, spuds look good! :D Yellowing might just be the rather cooler weather we're experiencing right now - shouldn't really need to fertilse them any more once they're in, unless the straw needs something extra while it's breaking down? :? Haven't used (looks like) oaten straw before. Personally, I'd wait a while before considering anything extra. Somebody else probably knows exactly what it is - if it is anything at all :lol: :lol: 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:36 pm

I agree with you about the lucerne :shock: Have you tried to see if there are any horse and cattle feed suppliers out Werribee-ish way - don't know if that's too far? I know that we can get more reasonable $$ lucerne from out Lysterfield way, but would need to hire a ute or the like $$$$ :(
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Guess we shouldn't ask what happened with the lady! :lol: I do feel, however, that you do need someone who understands beans the way you do! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:38 pm

Wow Ben you certainly have your priorities right ...at least by MY definition ...not so sure about your ladyfriends though :lol:
If you like to come for a three hour drive to the Wimmera we can fill your Van with $1.00 bales of straw no problem! I am about to get my ute and go get a laod...and he has lots for free that has gone mouldy or is no good because the twine has broken ...but its all great for compost and mulch.
If I ever drive it down to visit my pal in Newport I'll bring you a load.....as you can see this old ute is going to be worked ! If it ever arrives! :cry: :cry:
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:43 pm

A dollar a bale - wow, I can only dream...

So kitkat, does this mean that you (almost) have a ute? :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Almost Luzy .....LOL the mechanic rang on Thursday and says the trade in should be there yesterday ..(friday) so then he will get it a roadworthy and bring it to me ....but it has all taken sooo long that I
'll believe it when it gets here I think.
The farmer down the road sells his peastraw in melbourne to one of the big companies there ...so he takes big loads down often ...but I doubt he could drop you off any which is a pity.Luckily I have always brought it from them so have dibs when they want the sheds empty for a new lot..which is nice.he even brought a load to me earlier this year when I lost the ute...but it went so quickly ....I am in dire need of a new load to mulch the fruit trees and for the henhouse too.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Very nice and looking healthy, Ben :D I agree about the 'fair crop' as I reckon that a few good feeds out of what's in the back(and front)yard we're ahead.

Mine aren't too bad, though the kipflers have taken a dive after that warm weather last week - they don't seem dry, but look a bit, umm, not quite right. The others are flopping everywhere and just starting to get flowers (had a peek and saw some tiny spuds 8) ). Trouble is, because they're flopping it's really hard to get more straw around :( . I think they might also need a bit of a drink but I'll have to push my way through to the middle to check there first.

I worked out that the crop we got last year (taking into consideration the purchase price, a bale of pea straw and a few sundries) cost just over $2 a kilo - not great but fed us, with a few given away, for three months. Suits me, for 'gourmet potatoes'. :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:03 pm

Herby you might need to add something to the wood shavings as they will take from nutrients in order to break themselves down.....blood and bone or dynamic lifter might be good to add.sawdust/woodshavings are not good until they have been composted usually because they draw so much into themselves to break down.
My spuds are flowering and looking good too ...I'll take a few pics tomorrow.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:32 am

well the hay i was using were really long bits

If you run over it with the lawn mower it will be more manageable. Needless to say, your 'pile' of hay will be somewhat smaller, however, and will break down faster.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Herby wrote:Hi all,

How's everyone's spuds going?
would love to see everyone's different ways they grow them,
come on guys & gals, get those digi cams rolling!! :D

Here's a photo of my spuds, Ben, they are Up-to Dates and have buried my Rhubarb. Will try and remember to take photo of the Dutch Cream crop for you too.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:45 pm

Oh Marrion, just how healthy are those spuds? :D :D The rhubarb doesn't look like it's complaining too much - yet! :lol: And is that a euphorbia to the bottom right? (It looks suspiciously like one I got from my Mum that doesn't have a name that I know of :lol: )

Beautiful potato setting, as well!! :D 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:47 pm

Don't forget this is the Potato State :lol: and that is a weed, it's related to the Euphorbia :D quite attractive and very easy to pull out.
Marrion

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce