Sour mandarins

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Sour mandarins

Postby al22 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:19 am

My mandarins tree is almost 20 years old. Last winter I managed to get just one fruit (quite sweet). This summer I pruned the tree drastically and added soem citrus fertiliser and dynamic lifter - viola I have an abundant fruit supply - but :cry: the're sour almost like lemons (my wife calls them lemdarins). Any cure for this?
al22
Weeder

Postby Ann » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:33 pm

No ideas, but it should be great made into marmalade on its own or mixed. :D :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:06 am

I've heard that urine will sweeten citrus, but I'm certainly not about to suggest anyone rush out and pee on my potted citrus! Ehhw! :shock:

I did a bit of a hunt around for info for you the other day and found that citrus supposedly sweeten as the weather warms up, although summised that if yours are ready for picking NOW that wouldn't have been of much use to you, but if you can use it, it's probably a good point to bear in mind at a future time.

Out of interest, do your leaves indicate a possible lack of nutrients. If something is lacking, this might also have some bearing on the sweetness of the fruit.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:33 pm

I came across this tonight:
HOW TO MAKE CITRUS FRUIT SWEETER
Mix 20 grams of Sulphate of Potash in 9 litres of water, stir in well and apply over 2 square metres around the foliage area of the tree.
The link as follows:
http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/fa ... Citrus.htm
Marrion

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:57 am

epsom salts will work too, but I'm not sure of the dosage rate.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce