The Right Height.

Regular competitions for the best garden-related ideas with prizes to be won. Members can share their best garden tips with other gardeners and be in the running for an $80 Garden Express voucher.

Moderator: Forum_mod

The Right Height.

Postby abwal » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:35 am

Need to get posts, etc. at the same height? Use the garden hose. Place one end of the hose at the height you want and fill the hose with water. Move the other end of the hose - at the point you want level - up or down until water is at the top of the hose at both ends. You will need to add water to the hose to make sure it is completely full as you go.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: The Right Height.

Postby tam » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am

A small length of clear plastic tubing in either end of the hose makes it easier to see the water levels.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby taffyman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:50 pm

tam wrote:A small length of clear plastic tubing in either end of the hose makes it easier to see the water levels.

Or like I did, - use a full length of clear plastic hose. :D Did that with 15 poles when constructing my shade-house. Every one measured against the next and finally from corner to corner. Worked a treat.

Good tip Abwal (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 pm

:oops: MUST BE ME I DID NOT UNDERSTAND :oops:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 pm

TheE, position your first post at the height you want it. Tape the hose up the side of the post to just above the top. Position your second post somewhere near the height you want it, then run the hose along the ground and up the second post - again above the top and tape it into place. Now, fill the hose until the water level is exactly in line with the top of the first post - make sure there are no air bubbles in the hose. Go to the second post and see where the water level is. If it is below the top of the post then the post is too high. If it's above the top, then the post is too low. This method works whether the ground is level or not - water will always find its own level.

Hope that helps.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am

:cry: I STILL DONT GET IT, :evil:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 am

The Estate, because of gravity the surface of water will be level whether it is in a pool or a hose. If we make sure that the water level in the hose is the same at both ends, then the ends of the hose will be at the same height.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

See if this makes sense now TheE:

Post level.jpg
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:12 pm

:D sure does, thanks for taking the time Taffy (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Hey Ab would the hose be see thru ?
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Me not Ab - but I can answer that as well 8)

It doesn't have to be transparent but it sure is easier to see the water level. If you want to use ordinary black or green hose, the tops need to be level with the tops of both posts.Fill with water on the first post. If it overflows on the second post, the post is too low. If it flows out on the first post but hasn't filled the second post, then the second post is too high.

Tam has already posted another option, and that is to put a short length of clear hose in the ends of the main hose you're using. That's a good idea because then you can see where the water level actually is.

I only used clear hose because I had 30 metres of I inch diameter.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 pm

(Y) now I can see thru one of my ears and out he other :oops: makes sense now :roll: Hey I just tunes 50 my hormones are in overdrive :twisted:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:43 pm

and

:D:D

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Post level1.jpg
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:56 am

LOL! I guess the way ive seen fencing trades do it is they measure from the ground up to the height they require and then use a post level (wraps around 3 corners of the post). :D

Nice pic taffy.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby du5t til lawn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 pm

abwal wrote:Need to get posts, etc. at the same height? Use the garden hose. Place one end of the hose at the height you want and fill the hose with water. Move the other end of the hose - at the point you want level - up or down until water is at the top of the hose at both ends. You will need to add water to the hose to make sure it is completely full as you go.

That is a great idea. (Y) I have constructed a lot of retainer walls and using string lines and a level that attaches to it is not always a good option.
du5t til lawn
Weeder

Postby Jonesy_sa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 pm

This is a very good idea and not just limited to the garden. It can be used anywhere that at 1-2mm run out over the whole length is acceptable. Due to the surface tension of water it actually curves slightly up the inside of the hose so hard to get exact with a naked eye (poor a glass of water and look closely where the water meets the glass).
I used this method to check, adjust and repair the trusses in my roof when replacing the ceiling. I have used it to figure out run-out/pitch of roofs and drains and so on. Bunnings sells clear tube and if you plan i buying some. i only recommend you buy longer then you think you need, a diameter the same as garden hose or longer, as the smaller diameter stuff is cheaper but an absolute pain in the bum to fill, and buy clear tube so you can see if you have any air pockets. This will not be accurate if there is any air pockets in the line.
cheers
Jonesy_sa
Lawn trimmer

Jerseys From China

Postby FrhjwIv2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Here are some other things to know about Maccagnan's nearly 28-minute &quot,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China;state of the team&quot,China Jerseys Cheap; midseason report:
"Just being around Todd,Wholesale Jerseys China, working with Todd and observing Todd,NBA Jerseys Store, I think Todd has done a very good job as a head coach," Maccagnan said. "I really enjoy working with Todd. I watch him with the players and just his persona and demeanor ... it's really what we're trying to do as an organization."
So far,Cheap Jerseys, so good on the Jets' coach-GM tag-team.
BOWLED OVER BY BOWLES: Maccagnan and Bowles have seemed to complement each other from Day 1,Cheap Jerseys 2018, with their low-key personalities making for a good working relationship.
FrhjwIv2
Groundsperson

Return to Garden Tips Competition - Landscaping Tips