Water feature

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Water feature

Postby midgin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Have any of you people tried making a water feature? I am tempted to have a go... I want a reasonably deep reservoir and good sound of the flowing water. I realise I need a substantial water pump etc. I have one pond which is tucked in behind the stairwell of the verandah...but to clean the filter I have to pull the fiberglass pond completely out of its little place....which is a pain.
So.. any ideas?? Thanks, folks.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Re: Water feature

Postby Longy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Midgin, i made a little water feature from a half wine barrel using a solar pump. There are some excellent solar pumps available. The barrel has a length of concrete pipe standing on end in it with a painted terracotta pot on top. The pump hangs in the pipe and pumps up through the pot when the sun is up. Including cloudy days. Low maintenance and very cheap.
Here's a quick pic i took just now (so obviousy it's not pumping as it's night) but it'll give you the idea. The water spouts up through the grasses.

Last edited by Longy on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longy
Head Curator

Postby midgin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks Longy, much appreciated.. your feature looks great now...so I imagine it must be even more stunning when in operation.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Longy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Bugger. That's a big foto innit.
Apologies to dialuppers.

It needs a workover actually Midgin as the pump is weak. Must be gunked up i guess.
I haven't cleaned it for over 6 months and it's not a difficult process.
I purchased the solar pump online.
Longy
Head Curator

Postby veg gardener » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:21 pm

nice water feature longy
veg gardener
Gardening Sage

Postby abwal » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I have a fountain in my birdbath and use a solar pump. It works well with the occasional quick clean.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 am

Midgin, is your intention to use the pond that you have, or something else?

And do you want it entirely above ground, or the reservoir below ground?

If your reservoir is to be below ground, you can use something as simple as a bucket or plastic garbage can.

I have had the makings of an above ground one for a few years now, and simply haven't gotten around to it. :oops:

A black ceramic 'ball', complete with appropriate holes that I picked up at an op shop for next to nothing. In its previous life it had been the base for a table lamp. A black glazed plant pot that will have the hole sealed with silicone ........ after the power cord goes through would probably be a good idea. A bit of sturdy wire mesh cut to fit the size of the pot will hold the ball in location, and the area surrounding it covered in white pebbles (the mesh needs to be small enough to stop these falling through.

A plastic plant pot of the right height underneath the ball will also add to the support strength. You can buy a pump for this type of project for just a few dollars. Attach to a bit of tubing which is threaded up through the ball and voila!

I also have lots of copper that is earmarked for something more creative, but that's another story in procrastination. :roll: :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks Abwal and Pam. I was thinking of doing something creative and making a new feature... similar to your ideas, Pam. In the existing pond I may just place a pot plant in the centre. I will leave it where it is as it camouflages the underneath area of the verandah. I like the idea of utilising a lamp base, thanks.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:26 pm

After some thought AND a bit of moving of pots etc I have decided to stay with my little pond... for the time being... :wink:
So here a couple of pics...the second has a very colourul lady Mrs Raj, standing guard.... the first is a close up of the pond... the pot in the pond is (hopefully) to attract more frogs. Not the noisy ones...I hope.
Attachments
Pond near verandah steps  Fri 25  4..2008 013 (Medium).jpg
Pond near verandah steps Fri 25 4..2008 013 (Medium).jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
Raj  25  4..2008 004 (Medium).jpg
Raj 25 4..2008 004 (Medium).jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I'll send you all the frogs you want Midgin. Mind you they WILL be the noisy ones :twisted:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Thanks Pam...we have the noisy ones... tell me, why can't they call in unison?
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:35 pm

It loooks lovely Mids (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby veg gardener » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:46 pm

i have to agree with you there thee =D
veg gardener
Gardening Sage

Postby abwal » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:26 pm

That looks great, Midgin. See, you really didn't need any help did you? :D
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks people...Abwal... maybe it was just a passing phase.. :D
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Now....never one to leave things alone... I went to a pond/water feature place today :roll: and was fortunate enough to speak with a very helpful lady who offered some suggestions re my existing pond. IE she was not trying to push a sale, rather, she was being helpful. End result... we have now blown out the hoses to our pump (in line type), tightened some fittings that were leaking and it is now pumping like a dream.
AAAhhhem... while I was in the pond shop I bought a mist maker...it is very hard to photograph as there is strong wind here at present and it is blowing the mist away before I can even see it.. one feature I do like ... you can add a couple of drops of scented oil to the water and the mist smells divine. I would NOT recommend doing that in a pond where critters habituate.... sorry frogs, but... I have given you heaps of other ponds. The red thing to the left of the pic is one of four coloured balls that float... I have had for yonks and I love the way they reflect the light.
Attachments
Pond Mist maker Sun 27  4..2008 007 (Medium).jpg
Pond Mist maker Sun 27 4..2008 007 (Medium).jpg (87.68 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:55 pm

:cry: I have a mist maker ......... somewhere. Have had it for years ....... somewhere. I had to go away to my Granny's funeral at the time we should have been packing(a couple of moves ago), so hubby packed it, and I haven't seen it since. :shock:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Oh well.....one day you will have a nice surprise... a bit like when I clean out various cupboards... :oops: :oops:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Return to Water Gardens