fixing a cement pond

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

fixing a cement pond

Postby Jet » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Has anyone had any luck with repairing an old cement pond? We have uncovered an old one in our garden and would like to bring it back to it's former glory. It has a crack that probably caused it to leak. We looked at buying some paint on stuff but due to the size of the pond it would cost us $250. Then we thought of a plastic liner (but they look so daggy) but why have a cement pond if your gunna have an ikky looking plastic liner spoiling the look. Has anyone tried the paint on stuff? OR Does anyone have any other ideas that we could try?
Jet
Pruner

Re: fixing a cement pond

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 am

Hi Jet. What sort of soil do you have? This will help to determine whether it is worthwhile to even think about fixing it. If you have reactive clay, for instance, you're better off to go with a liner.

On the subject of a 'daggy plastic liner', if you have rocks or plants overhanging the edge, you won't see it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Elina » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:04 am

Hi i have the same problem with our cement pond due having trees planted to close.In past we tried to fix it with silicone sealant but it only lasted for a while before another crack appeared.Now we think liner is the only option for us. :-?
Elina
Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 am

We're currently demolishing one that had the same problem Elina. We sealed it, but because of the size and closeness of the trees involved we figured we were never going to be able to keep it clean enough anyway, so we're scrapping it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:02 pm

I fixed my pond by putting in a clear plastic liner, you can hardly see it now the water and plants are in and it only cost $20-00 at the B Store. :D
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Elina » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:24 am

8)
Mister Wisteria wrote:I fixed my pond by putting in a clear plastic liner, you can hardly see it now the water and plants are in and it only cost $20-00 at the B Store. :D

I like the idea of clear plastic ,definitely will give it a go if that fails then it will have to go.
Elina
Curator

Postby hoddo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:47 am

be aware plastic comes in differnt thicknesses, try to get a good heavy gauge.
hoddo
Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 am

It seems to me that if you're going to use plastic, then black is really less visible than clear, and it's going to have a considerably better lifespan than clear because of the different ingredients.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Cement pond gave me images of The Beverley Hillbillies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My age is showing.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Elina » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:34 pm

bubba louie wrote:Cement pond gave me images of The Beverley Hillbillies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My age is showing.

I like that description. :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elina
Curator

Return to Water Gardens