A pond

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

A pond

Postby Kieran F » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi, i know this is more of a landscaping question but here goes

if i were to make a smallish fish pond (say, fill it with koi fish, and water plants) how would i go about making a water-tight pond, with a nice rocky/pebble bed?

only way i could think of is if i were to use plastic to hold the water in
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Re: A pond

Postby Ben01 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:55 pm

what about coloured concrete/cement???
You;d only need a thin layer so if you decided to remove it at a later date a sledge would have no probs breaking it up.

You can buy additives at hardware stores to make it a certain colour too, so you wouldn't have to rely on rocks etc to cover up the bottom completely?
Ben01
Propagator

Postby Kieran F » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 pm

would i need a mould for that?
also, i wanted a nice layer of gravel or something on the bottom, simply looks better than concrete
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby Ben01 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:05 am

Not too sure mate, haven't done it myself so I was just thinking out loud, but i wouldnt have thought so..
I'm sure freehand would be fine???

Look into it, you could also mix it with the pea gravel to give it the textured rocky/gravel look - like you see in some swimming pools, or layer the gravel/stones on top before it dries.
You could try ask someone at the hardware store (dunno if i can mention names here). Some of them are pretty cluey.

I emphasise "SOME"
Ben01
Propagator

Postby Kieran F » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am

well, we're rebuilding our house soon, thought it might be good to get it done while its being built

also, i dont trust the B shop (if that's the one you're talking about) every time i go there they try to overcharge me for at least 1-2 items
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby abwal » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:23 am

The usual method is to dig the pond and then line it with plastic pool lining which is anchored along the edge with a row of rocks or bricks, etc.

This may help: http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Systema_Naturae » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 am

I agree with abwal, a plastic lining is the way to go. Concrete can easily crack, especially if it's on a reactive clay, and once it does it's troublesome to repair. A plastic lining is flexible and stands less chance of leaking that concrete. Fiberglass is also another alternative.

I'd also be inclined to wait until after the house is built to put the pond in - less chance of dusts and shavings from building materials being blown into your pond and upsetting the balance.

Cheers,
John
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Postby littlegarden » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Kieren do note in that link, if you want Koi you'll need a big pond. If you're imagining something small I'd stick with goldfish which can be just as beautiful. You'll want some kind of fish though, to eat the mosquito larva.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby Kieran F » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:46 am

Well, i suppose it can wait, you might just say i was PONDering it.
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby andi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi Keiran, love a bad pun! Made ours with heavy duty rubber liner over a thick bed of sand and covered the liner with coarse sand/small pebbles. Edge of pond has rocks and pebbles of varying size graduating down into the water, lots of marginal reeds and grasses. Just dig out a shape you like and make sure there's nothing sharp in the soil.
andi
Head Gardener

Postby Kieran F » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 pm

thanks andi, what i imagined was a nice long pond with some reeds and koi fish in it, mabey a clay bottom with pebbles on top (that special clay used to grow waterplants)
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby andi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am

Sounds like a plan. All my plants are still in pots in the water, still not sure if that's the best solution or to plant out into the pond. We have a native nursery in Melbourne which has good advice on aquatic and marginal plants, maybe you can find similar up there. I have to say I even got some good info at Bunnings.

I know this is very much off topic but does anyone keep turtles in their garden ponds?
andi
Head Gardener

Postby Kieran F » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am

i've lost most of my faith in bunnings, every time i go there they try and overcharge me, seriously, i went to buy some shadecloth, they had about 5 of the exact same thing in a $23 row, i went to the counter and they asked for $47
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Return to Water Gardens