pool or pond

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

pool or pond

Postby rosie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

We have an above ground pool which is 3/4 way in the ground about 5ft deep and ovalish in shape. It has decking on two sides and garden all round.
Its a pretty area I dont want to pull the pool out. But the cost of electricity in NSW is getting ridiculous and ontop of that the chemicals.
The kids aren't using the pool much anymore. So can I turn in into a an above ground pond? Would it look silly? Or look like a dirty pool?
I thought i could remove the liner and turn it into a chicken coup but the foxes would be able to get on top.
Any ideas would be welcome
rosie
Head Curator

Re: pool or pond

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:07 am

would it be possible to cut the top third off so all you are left with is the below ground section? Alternatively, would it be worth turning it into a rainwater collection tank?
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby rosie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks GG, Im very tempted, but I dont have a roof nearby to collect the run off, and a bit concerned about breeding mozzies :)
rosie
Head Curator

Postby mousiehousie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm

5 ft deep ? That's a deep inground pool :shock: The depth would be the worry wouldn't it ? Hard to grow anything in it.
mousiehousie
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:59 am

One could use besser blocks to raise plants Mousie.

Rosie, it's definitely doable. It's simply a matter of getting the balance right. Given that you already have decking etc there, I think you have the potential there for quite a nice little pond

A bit of reading from Mr Google:

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source= ... fc5f369f9b

Don't forget our pics. :mrgreen:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby hoddo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 am

I think its a great idea some nice big goldfish a few waterlillies, the depth is good as it wont get to hot for fish over summer but I would advise you run a small pump and gravel filter to keep the water oxygenated and to remove toxins
hoddo
Curator

Postby rosie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks all, Pam your link was great, this is the first time I have seen an "above ground pool" converted into a pond.
Will put in some more thought on this project. I haven't got anything to loose :D
rosie
Head Curator

Postby Gumtree » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:26 pm

fish in will help control mozzys
Gumtree
Propagator

Postby Waterlilly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

for anyone interested in turning their pool into a gold fish pond. We had great success with turning a large in ground pool into a gold fish pond. Lots of plants, gold fish, visiting birdlife and even had a turtle arrived (a creek several blocks away), also visiting cormorants, herons and a water rat. Provided the greatest interest and entertainment.
On sale of our house the turtle was relocated to the creek - buyers were intending to refurbish the pool, so bulk of fish and plants were cleared out.
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby DrDuncs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 am

Don't forget you may still need to comply with any council regulations re fencing.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Waterlilly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 am

valid point, however the pool was an operating swimming pool for 20 years as our boys were growing up and had regulation height fencing - this was all disguised with gardens. The pool still had to be secured as we had not reduced the depth. We were fortunate to have a 1400 sq meter house block with trees established over thirty years. It was a great pleasure....but all got too big.
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby Elijah Magarey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Good idea! yes of-course you can use it as pond on your garden, an above around pool can be converted into a useful pond, you can drop some small gold and other colored fishes and some plants into that pond it will look beautiful.
jimsmowing
Elijah Magarey
Pruner

Postby Keo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 pm

I agree with everyone else, pond for the win! The above ground quarter should be easy enough to hide if you can't cut it down to ground level. Just build up soil rocks plants etc around it depending on it's structural properties.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby tangles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Hey all, I have done exactly what you are looking for. However I had to go a few steps further because I wanted a Koi Pond. When I emptied the wTER i FOUND THAT THE LINER BEING OLD WAS VERY BRITTLE AND AFTER 14 YEARS HAD SERVED ITS PURPOSE. Oops. Anyway if you intend to have many fish you will have to consider filtration and thats a big subject. I ended up putting in bottom drains, a large filtration system and now sit and watch 25 large Koi swim around. If you want more info I will gladly supply. Please do your home work because it really isnt just a case of throwing in a small pump, a waterfall and goldfish.
tangles
Weeder

Postby Keo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Photos? :)
Keo
Groundsperson

Return to Water Gardens