Aquatic Plants?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Aquatic Plants?

Postby Bonsai33 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:57 am

Hi All,

I have a great little patio pond, in which all my plants are thriving.

There are all in the same pots i bought them in from the nursery but now they are bursting at the seams.

This pic was taken a few weeks ago and now its worse!

My question today is can anyone recommend an aquatic planting medium that i can make/buy that i can use when i thin the pots out?

or can anyone tell my whats actually used?

Thanks very much for your time

Regards
Jeff

Bonsai33
Propagator

Location: Macedon Ranges, victoria, southern hemisphere, planet earth

Re: Aquatic Plants?

Postby brill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:17 am

Hi, Just dig some soil out of your garden. If the pot has holes line it with weedmat or shadecloth to stop the soil escaping. You can buy special fertiliser, but can also use any slow release one. Wrap it in a few little bundles (newspaper will do) and bury it in the soil. Cover the soil with a layer of course sand, then small gravel (to stop the soil escaping). Good luck
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby brill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:19 am

Forgot to say, those pots look fine to me. Aquatic plants do grow very quickly. Maybe just prune them back for now (can prune roots too)
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby tam » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 pm

If you have clay soil all the better. Don't use potting mix or it will pollute your pond.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Elijah Magarey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 pm

You can simply plant them on soil area for few time this will help to make those plant live, as aquatic plants grows so fast so don't leave them on soil for long duration roots of plant will spread on soil and it will be difficult plant them on aquatic medium.
jimsmowing
Elijah Magarey
Pruner

Return to Water Gardens