Calling All Pond Experts - Filamentous Algea Problem?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Calling All Pond Experts - Filamentous Algea Problem?

Postby ColinM » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi All,

Over the last week or so, I've noticed an algae, which I believe to be Filamentous Agae, which I understand is also referred to as 'Long Stringy Algae' or 'Blanket Weed'. Here's a pic of the pond:

I discussed it with my local pond expert retic guy (onya Steve) and he suggested that the spores could have come from frogs, ducks or new introduced plants - non of which have occurred with our pond. After doing some research (http://www.fishchannel.com/setups/ponds/filamentous-algae.aspx) there are additional suggestions of spore introduction, including tap water (I have to top up my pond occassionally due to water loss from the waterfall) and wind. Also phosphate fertiliser run off (which I don't use).

The pond is very close to 1,000 litres in capacity and I have 2 large Koi, 3 small ones and 3 Small to medium Fantails. Plant wise, I have two growing water lillies and a large pot with miniture papyrus in it.

I have a 8,000 lph filter and a 3,000 lph pump (I chanel 3,000 lph to the filter to the top pond and 5,000 lph to the top pond direct).

Some sights have recommended adding salt to the pond as this is best for this fish (http://www.pondkoi.com/algae_1b.htm).

From talking to Steve, and browsing a few web sites, it would appear the best method of getting rid of it is manual cleaning followed by a n on harmful "Long String Algae Killer" which Steve advises me will suffocate the remaining algae and not harm the fish or my bio filter. Obviously the (external) filter UV light cell doesn't remove it because the spores stick together and then to anything no moviong in the pond. So the spore strands are anchored.

It would seem the increased sunlight of summer, combined with warming of the water, especially closer to the surface is contricuting to the problem. I've been planning to put a shade (cloth) over my pond anyway, so I can grow ferns around the pond and incorportate 2 benches. Is this a good idea?

Thoughts, ideas, suggests?
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Re: Calling All Pond Experts - Filamentous Algea Problem?

Postby ColinM » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 am

OK, just an update on this.

I got up early this morning before the bees arrived :roll: - they've taken a liking to our pond due to the moisture - and manually removed as much filamentous (long string) algae as I could. (This recommended by the manufacturer of the treatment powder). From web research, it was recommended to use a stick. But I found by far the very best impliment is a 'dish brush' - see pic:

I then dispersed the treatment powder, Pond-Max String-Algae Powder in accordance with instructions, mixing one level teaspoon into a watering 'can' half filled with warm water. Dispersal was by pouring the contents (watering can rose removed) over the surface. In accordance with the instructions, I'll need to do this once a week for the next month, then once a fortnight thereafter. Here's a pic of the treatment powder:

Image.

I'll let you know how this treatment progresses, but we're off to a good start as it is overcast today, so that should slow any algae growth and give the powder a good chance to attack it.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Chrysanth » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I use hydrogen peroxide in my pond to control stringy algae. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a professional gardener. It sounds drastic, but so far hasn't hurt the fish, frogs or plants at all (except the algae). The rate is 15ml of 50% solution of hydrogen peroxide for each 100 litres (of course, you also dilute it in a watering can and sprinkle it in). I'll be interested in your results with the commercial product.

And by the way, your dishwashing brush idea is brilliant! I've been using broom handles. Why didn't I think of that?
May all your weeds be wildflowers - Author unknown.
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby ColinM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Chrysanth,

Yes, I've heard of that idea, but from overseas sites, so was reluctant to use it, so good to get confirmation. What about the plants and I have a vinyl liner? Will it harm them?

I ended up with a 5 prong approach, I'll explain that soon . Glad you liked the dish brush idea! :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:28 am

I just hope you didn't get into too much trouble for returning the dishbrush in that state Colin. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:33 am

Pam wrote:I just hope you didn't get into too much trouble for returning the dishbrush in that state Colin. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: No Pam, it was one of those rare male moments where I asked permission first, and an equally rare female moment where I was granted that permission :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm

In my opinion, sorry, hydrogen peroxide is only good for pools.
I could use HP in my pond without fish and plants easy, but not sure about fish 'cause they can't talk and say what they feel.
Chemicals kill Vallisneria and other plant-oxigenerators (fish needs) just like this. It's only my own opinion and internet talks. :)
The best Warrior is fish net. But, please, Colin, do not do it that way you thought I do. LOL. :mrgreen:
Colin, I will concentrate and tell you all I know about algae tomorrow.
But sometime I think algae just feels Water. And stick to it forever. I gave up with mine, just clean it with net every second day.
Also I do not fight with green or dark water anymore because fish have more chances to hide from birds!!
Let's think about fish first and after it go in bath to enjoy clear tab water in it. :lol:
Check out Japanese Ponds plz. They are all have so dirty water. :-?
Last edited by Waterlily on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm

The best Warrior is fish net. But, please, Colin, do not do it that way you thought I do. LOL. :mrgreen:

:shock: :D

Annie I am SURE and can guarantee YOU would look a whole lot better in fishnets that ME! :lol: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Hey,Colin, I also wrote some algae philosophy in my previous post.
No no no, you can do it better. :mrgreen:
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:18 pm

No no no, you can do it better. :mrgreen:

:shock: THANK YOU - i THINK! :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens