My Water Garden Projects

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Re: My Water Garden Projects

Postby Pam » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 am

abwal wrote:Pam, you are evil :evil: ......... but the lychees were beautiful. :)

Weren't they just?! Best I've had in a long time.

I'm really wishing there was a way to control the snails, as I'd desperatly love some water lilies and lotus in our dam. The floating plastic ones just don't do it for me. lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 am

Hubby put his foot down a couple of years ago and refused to move any more big rocks.

You could always give Bob a ring Pam!
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 am

Mr Cat you mean? I was just in the process of writing up a post asking who Bob was when it occurred to me. lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:06 am

Pam wrote:Mr Cat you mean? I was just in the process of writing up a post asking who Bob was when it occurred to me. lol

:lol: :lol: Darn! Almost got you Pam :lol: - too sharp for me you are :D
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi guys! Thank you very much for your comments! :D It's really nice to read all it. (Y) Yes, I never stop, wanna show you my next project. Mr. Fern Creek. One day I will finish. :) I transplant all ferns+tree firns at the moment in the same area. Some of them are realy heavy. :-@

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Will also show you photos of creek building processs. It doesn't let me to show photos :cry: , I will show it later from my free hosting. And I thing every fern deserves to have some water around. :-P
I am very excited right now, one Lady wants give away 3 tree ferns so we better go there right now to dig it out so she will not change her mind. :mrgreen:
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Wanderer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:50 pm

ColinM wrote:Annie, as always, simply stunning! How do you control the algae? With a bio filter (ploants) - do they REALLY keep it under control, as in no fishnet approach?

Annie I agree with the 'stunning'
But how do you control the algae???

Cheers
Wanderer
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby ColinM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am

Hey Wanderer!

(Sorry guys, been ages since I've been in here, been flat out work wise (copped a flood of clients at the same time :-@ ) will make a better effort to revisit more frequently!)

I haven't seen Annie posting in here for ages, which is a real shame as I always enjoyed her posts and she is a wealth of knowledge and (obvious) experience when it comes to ponds.

Wanderer, I'm no expert and I don't have the problem totally solved, but this is what I have learned.

1) A good dirty water pump and filter should keep any std brown algae (the stuff that discolours the water) at bay.

2) The nasty stuff, the Long Strand Filamentous Algae (LSFA) - I've found (in my experience anyway) that I'm never going to get rid of that completely, just keep it under control, I've resigned to the situation that there will always be some on the walls.

3) Balance the number of fish you have to the water volume - too few and they don't do their job (see point 4) and too many and they produce too much waste that feeds the LSFA. A Google search will give you a guide, but I think that there is an element of trial and error.

4) Don't feed you fish. I stopped some time ago and now they eat the LSFA. But you need enough numbers to do the job - but not too many.

5) Full sun exposure will encourage LSFA, but a shaded pond will stop water lilies from flowering - it's a trade off.

6) When you build a pond, don't be in a hurry to panic when you see the LSFA - give the pond time to develop it bio-organism balance with the microbes at the bottom of the pond.

7) Use plenty of oxygenating plants as they will feed on the LSFA .

Whilst all of this is developing, use a dish washing brush tied or taped to a pole and manually remove the LSFA.

Hope that helps. :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Previous

Return to Water Gardens