My Azolla Have Dissapeared?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

My Azolla Have Dissapeared?

Postby ColinM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm

About one week ago I added some Azolla (the floating lil fern guys) to my pond and they've GONE :-@ :-? The quantity I added would have been enough to cover the surface of about two std buckets of water.

Any ideas?

I thought Koi at first, but I've managed to sustain them in the past with fish in other ponds.

Maybe I need to propogate them to 'Koi Proof' levels?
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Re: My Azolla Have Dissapeared?

Postby chocolate » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Good afternoon,
bad luck but definitely the koi,I used to keep them here in N.N.S.W. beautiful fish but ravenous feeders,I couldnt have any green in pool at all,even in basket,they ate roots....shadecloth around the base of any plant was a good idea for a while but nothing floating!
chocolate
Curator

Postby ColinM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply chocolate - struth! :shock: shade cloth :shock: - prooves what I suspected - they're very shady characters :lol:

EDIT: Ooops! Read that wrong...they didn't eat the shade cloth LOL.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 am

Yep the koi it is Colin. In China they leave nothing at all in the pond as they will overturn pots and eat anything green - or that moves ! LOL
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby chocolate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 am

Good morning,
a little more about koi,they are amazing jumpers and anything hanging over the pool they would reach,they love to be fed lettuce.That is one of the reasons they are not liked in many places...they decimate the river banks.
chocolate
Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 am

kitkat wrote:Yep the koi it is Colin. In China they leave nothing at all in the pond as they will overturn pots and eat anything green - or that moves ! LOL

:lol: - thanks kitkat - at least they haven't attacked me :D

chocolate wrote:Good morning,
a little more about koi,they are amazing jumpers and anything hanging over the pool they would reach,they love to be fed lettuce.That is one of the reasons they are not liked in many places...they decimate the river banks.

Might have to try that lettuce chocolate - thanks for that.

Oh well, looks like no Azolla then. Thank goodness they haven't attacked the water lillies!
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:06 am

They don't mind a bit of zucchini either, Colin.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 am

Pam wrote:They don't mind a bit of zucchini either, Colin.

That's good Pam, because I hate the stuff :lol: :lol:

I split up and repotted my Valliss (Eel Grass) and the pesky blighters have pulled some of it out. They were planted in a cut down large pot plant, containing aqua soil (the bags of small stones) - forgotten the name.
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:41 pm

:shock: Of course your Azolla dissapeared, everything will dissapear soon, maybe they can jump and eat your roses even. They will attack you, Colin, as soon they eat all plants around your street. :mrgreen:
Congratulations, Colin, you are owner of Tasmanian pests now.
Koi love Valliss by the way, so buy more Valliss for them. :)
Colin, did they eat all your algae too? Or just fishnet? :-?
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Waterlily wrote::shock: Of course your Azolla dissapeared, everything will dissapear soon, maybe they can jump and eat your roses even. They will attack you, Colin, as soon they eat all plants around your street. :mrgreen:
Congratulations, Colin, you are owner of Tasmanian pests now.
Koi love Valliss by the way, so buy more Valliss for them. :)
Colin, did they eat all your algae too? Or just fishnet? :-?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ah, you're a crack up Annie :lol:

Unfortunately, they don't eat all the Algae. Maybe I can mail them to Pam :-? :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Wow, yes, good idea. :wink: :lol: I also could send my algae to Pam :-? , so her snails will always have something to eat. :)
Colin, I have some Azolla too, but will not send it to your koi, sorry. :roll:
If I could have a choice to buy Koi or Goldfish :-? I better buy Goldies because I don't need to hide all my plants from them. ) They will do damage to your water lilies too but later, after they finish others. 8)
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The whole lot sounds like good compost to me! :twisted:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 am

Waterlily wrote:Wow, yes, good idea. :wink: :lol: I also could send my algae to Pam :-? , so her snails will always have something to eat. :)
Colin, I have some Azolla too, but will not send it to your koi, sorry. :roll:
If I could have a choice to buy Koi or Goldfish :-? I better buy Goldies because I don't need to hide all my plants from them. ) They will do damage to your water lilies too but later, after they finish others. 8)

Yes, regret getting the Koi Annie - waterl illies - or dear! :(

Pam wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

The whole lot sounds like good compost to me! :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahaha Pam - a very (de)composed response :mrgreen:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 am

Maybe you could seel the Koi, Colin?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:46 am

Pam wrote:Maybe you could seel the Koi, Colin?

I don't know if sewing their eyes shut would solve the problem Pam. :lol: I know, you mean sell I assume. Yes, it has been on my mind. :-?
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:44 pm

hmmm I guess the preview button has a purpose after all. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Pam wrote:hmmm I guess the preview button has a purpose after all. :lol:

I'm far too much a gentleman to comment further Pam :roll: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pansysue » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:10 pm

I was wondering what happened to my floating fern as well, but I only have 2 goldfish in my cute little pond, however, 1 of my cute little goldfish has grown really big! much bigger than the other one which is still a rich goldy colour. The big one is a pale yellow and really huge, I'm actually wondering if it really a koi and not a little goldfish. The were both small when I got them. I'm a bit worried the big one might eat the little one but what I really know about fish you could write on pinhead.

I'm having trouble with the algae thing as well but think I do not have enough plants in it? actually, I have none since the floating fern floated off somewhere. :( Maybe I need to buy a waterlily or 2 but I have a waterfall and I was told water lilies won't grow in moving water. I also think it might be getting to much sun after reading another post here, I have 2 tree ferns growing there but they're not providing much shade as yet.

It's only a small pond, probably 2m sq. an old shower bath thing from an old house my son reno'd and lined with black plastic as I just couldn't get the plug hole to stop leaking no matter what I did. :(

If I didn't have this picture in my head of fairies dancing around it all in the moonlight, I would probably yank the whole thing out. :(
Pansysue
Pruner

Postby ColinM » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Pannsysue :D

Don't dishearten - I know exactly how you feel with ponds - they can be quite a bit of work, but I think they are worth it.

From personal experience, I wouldn't worry too much about the big fish eating the lil one - my biggest fish is in excess of 14cm and he hasn't eaten any of the smaller ones.

Yes, I too have heard that water lillies don't like moving water. I guess if you have a large pond, then the waterfall has minimum impact, but I love the sound of the running water, so it's a trade off.

As for Algae...yes, it's a bit of a scourge to manage and within this forum there is varied 'preferences' (for want of a better word on what constitutes and ecceptable amount of algae.

If you have a good filtration system (either bio (plants) and or mechanical), then water born algae (that which makes the water green) shouldn't be too much of a problem. My biggest problem has been long strand/carpet/filamentatious algae (it goes by various names) and some treatment manufacturers even differentiate between carpet and filamentatious algae, whilst others refer to it as the same - so that can be confusing.

If you have an ultraviolet cell in your pump - that will kill the green water algae because that is present in the water. But filamentatious algae sticks to pond walls, pump pipes, pots etc - so it can't get 'attacked' by the filter cell.

You can manage that manually, naturally or chemically.

Yes, too much sun will encourage algae growth but putting shade over your pond will impact on lillies ability to flower (at least that's been my experience) - so again, it's all a trade off.

EDIT - OH, and I forgot to mention - too much nutriments can cause alage problems - decomposing leaf litter at the bottom of the pond, and one of the worse culprits, putting rich soil in your pond plant pots - I use 'Aquatic Soil' which you can get from pond/watergarden nursery suppliers.
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pansysue » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for all that Colin...I do believe I'll just have another drink. :shock: :D
Pansysue
Pruner

Next

Return to Water Gardens