water feature glue

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

water feature glue

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi, I am looking at making a water feature by gluing/cementing river stone to fibre cement (10mm thick) - tjhe fibre cement board is 600mm x 2100mm so quite large. Can anyone advise what is the best glue to use, I have b een advised by a builder than sand and cement will fail. I have been told Ardex? will be best? polyurethane?? any suggestions?

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
Pruner

Re: water feature glue

Postby Coustralee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 am

I'm not really sure when it comes to glues but I'd try selley's Knead-It.

I've used the Aqua one to stick together bathroom fittings and patch a rainwater tank. You knead it together and it makes a putty that will dry rock hard.

Some people seem to be using it to bond coral etc together in aquariums.

"A versatile hand kneadable, fast setting co-extruded epoxy repair system that can be used for repairing a multitude of things. It is especially suitable for application to damp, wet or underwater substrates. It comes in a handy roll form, with the white hardener encapsulated in the aqua green resin part. The product hardens in 20 – 30 minutes after mixing, to a white solid material."
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby hoddo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 am

Epoxy will work but may be to expensive for an area that big. I would be inclined to use a good cement based tile adhesive like Supefixall by ASA (since bought out by bostik) to make it even stronger add megalastic liquid. This is what I use when laying glass mosaic tiles in swimming pools.
hoddo
Curator

Postby MrFaulty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:43 am

Yeah, the kneed it would be too expensive but alos not flexible at all - believe I need something with flex to offset the differential in expansion rates between the fibre cement and the rock. Will try that Bostik product I think.

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
Pruner

Postby hoddo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:46 am

Adding the megalastic liquid instead of water is supposed to increase the flexability and adhesion but it does reduce work time and is a bit harder to work with. Try to work out of the direct sun as heat will set the glue alot faster. Apply the glue with a notched trowel and press the pebbles onto the fibre cement sheet and clean up as you go with a damp sponge as once the superfixall dries its hard to remove
hoddo
Curator

Postby MrFaulty » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Results
Finally fjnhished my water feature, no photos yet though. I glued the polished black river stone to the compressed fibre cement (12mm) board using sikaflex polyurethane, then the outdoor sikaflex glue, both seem to have held well; I did etch half the rocks with a masonry blade on an angle grinder but stopped doing this after removing a small piece of my finger!

After the glue had been allowed to set for about a week I framed the board and used ardite to flow in betwen the rocks to a depth of about 3mm.

A few days later I wrestled the board into place and was suprised that it held together (so far).

Will get the pump working in the next week or so and put some photos up
MrFaulty
Pruner

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:07 am

I can't wait to see the results - it sounds fantastic. :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby MrFaulty » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 am

Unfortubnately the pump turned out to be a bit small for the head (approx 1.8 metres) and hence the waterfall is more of a watertrickle :( Will have to do for a while

131_3713.JPG

131_3711.JPG
MrFaulty
Pruner

Return to Water Gardens