Aquaponics question

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Aquaponics question

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:26 pm

A few years ago I set up a rather exstensive water garden feature in the undercover rainforest beneath my highset Queenslander home as something relaxing and very pleasant to gaze out upon from my office/studio windows where I spend so much of my working life these days.
The system includes three waterfall features with various sized collection pools and winding connecting gravel bottomed brooks/streams.
At a rough guess I'd say that the whole system handles around 10,000 litres of water in a constantly moving flow which is stocked with native freshwater fish.

After getting everything up and working - including the landscaping and planting up - I found I was forced to spend a fair bit of time maintaining the water quality so looked into Aquaponics as a means to assist in this part of things, and after learning the basics of how to set it up and run it I set to and built an outdoor exstention to act as a veggie/herb growing bed.

Of course a volume of 10,000 litres requires a certain size growing/filtration bed, so I ensured the one I put in the system was the right size for the job, together with a submersible pump that could handle all the water 24/7.

However, the problem I'm finding now is that only about 2/3 of the growing area produces top quality produce while the remaing 1/3 seems to lack suffient flows of water containing the fish waste products.

I have tried a number of ways to create a better and more even flow of water across the pea gravel growing area but up to now nothing is proving overly successful.

I therefore wonder if there may be someone here with a far greater knowledge of Aquaponics setups than I have and they would be willing to help advise me.

If so I thank you in advance.

Stefan
Deadlines - Foolishness dreamed up by publishers for writers to ignore.
Bugger the Romans, do things your own way!
Stefan
Pruner

Return to Water Gardens