How can it leak?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

How can it leak?

Postby Sereena » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie here and have a problem with a small dam in our front yard. During winter and good rain seasons, our small dam (I call it a dam, but its really small, would be better described as a pond) is full to the brim.

However, it dries up in summer. It has reeds growing here and there and has had a nasty case of algae growth in the past 12 months (mainly caused by lack of shade and a hubby who mows so close to the edge that some grass clippings fall into the water and obviously rot).

I'm not sure if the drying up is caused by a leak or just natural sun exposure, because it has a hard time retaining water in summer.

I want to plant some water plants in it, but I'm not game to because of the drying out problem.

Any suggestions on how I can seal it up so it doesn't lose its water? It is a very popular spot for frogs and at night time, I usually go to sleep to the sound of all sorts of croaks from the various frogs we share our farm with.

Cheers,
Sereena
Sereena
Lawn trimmer

Re: How can it leak?

Postby midgin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 pm

How big is the pond? It sounds to me like evaporation...however...I am not an expert on ponds/dams...so maybe wait for other comments. If it was a leak...I imagine it would consistent, not seasonal. ???
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:58 pm

If the water remains there during the dry but cooler periods, but disappears during the warmer months, you can fairly safely assume the problem is evaporation.

What type of soil do you have, and roughly how deep is the dam? If it's only fairly shallow it can evaporate quite rapidly.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Getafix » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:10 pm

It might be that your best bet to keep water there in summer is to plant some trees to provide shade. Even if the water stays during the summer, with no trees providing shade the water might get too warm for fish/frogs anyway?
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby Sereena » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Thank you for your replies. Its only a small pond, about a metre deep and 3 metres wide, so it probably is evaporation. It has handfuls of reeds here and there on the sides, but aside from that, there's nothing around it.

I thought I should pop in a nice weeping tree beside it, in direct line to the hot afternoon sun. I know they are weeds, but I adore willows, they are such handsome trees. Sadly, it would probably suck up even more water if I put one of those in!

Any suggestions of good shade trees (obviously evergreen, cause I don't want leaves falling in the pond)?

Sereena
Sereena
Lawn trimmer

Return to Water Gardens