Wine barrel water feature

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Wine barrel water feature

Postby justjane1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:16 pm

I have recently purchased a half wine barrel complete with hand pump and water pump which I excitedly filled with water and plants on the first day. As the weeks have gone by, the sides of the barrel have become slimy to touch and the water has turned a murky brown and is full of mozzie wrigglers. I intended to put some fish in the barrel but have been warned that the water could be contaminated from the wine barrel and that the fish (and plants) may die.

I have considered buying a prefabricated barrel liner, but the dimensions of my barrel are not standard and so this wouldn't work. Another consideration is to line the barrel with pond liner, then fill with tank water, plants, then fish.

The barrel catches the sun (in summer) for approximately six hours and the water gets quite warm. Will fish and plants be OK in this environment or should I move the barrel to a shadier spot in the garden?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas about what I could do, I would greatly appreciate them.
justjane1
Weeder

Re: Wine barrel water feature

Postby snakecharma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:39 am

you can buy paint-on sealant for water features, works the same as a plastic liner. Should be able to buy it from a decent hardware/nursery.

I would also suggest a small aquarium pump with an airstone. If the water gets too hot the oxygen levels in the water may drop too low - it also will help circulate the water.
If outdoor electrics are not an option you can buy little battery operated aerators from fishing tackle shops.

HTH
:mrgreen:
If Life gives you lemons - squirt someone in the eye!

Please visit & like my page! - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sterling-Snakes/378011622339478
snakecharma
Groundsperson

Postby justjane1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 am

Cheers for that advice Snakecharma, I'll give it a go
justjane1
Weeder

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:16 am

As for the water heating up too much, is shading it with a few leafy plants an option?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Coustralee » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:32 pm

i saw a bit of a garden show the other day about slime in garden ponds, there is a product you can get that will stop it, his other tip was barley straw in an onion bag... not that i've ever seen barley straw anywhere :)
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 am

Coustralee, I bought a bale at the produce store.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Coustralee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 am

theres sposed to be something in the barley straw that will stop the pond slime from growing
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

put a water lily on top (that will help keep the water cool). I had one some years ago and killed a few fish before they managed to survive; fill tjhe barrel and leave for a week, empty it and refill, do this half a dozen times or so, then put a water lily in with a few rainbow fish and the rainbow fish will keep the moquitos away - mine even bred in the barrel eventually!
MrFaulty
Pruner

Postby justjane1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone! I gave the barrel a good scrub last weekend and it's sitting collecting rainwater at the moment. The water still turns a bit brown but seems to be turning a lighter brown each time (if that makes sense).
I'll try a waterlily too - also moved the barrel to a slightly shadier spot.
I have been told that if I paint the inside with a sealer, then the barrel will eventually fall apart because the timber needs to be waterlogged, so I'll persevere with the cleaning.

Cheers everyone!
justjane1
Weeder

Return to Water Gardens