Rejuvinating your Pond?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Rejuvinating your Pond?

Postby ColinM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Pond Lovers (and haters :lol: )

We've now had our pond in for a couple of years and I've never cleaned it out. From time to time, we have issues with long strand filamentatios algea and keep all other algae forms at bay with a dirty water filter into a UV celled external filter.

However, over those months, due to the fact that there is a lot of soil sloping down to the pond (more stepped amongst rocks actually) and the exposed position of the pond, a LOT of debri has found it's way into the pond.

So! Who's for giving the pond a good clean out - there is a HUGE amount of silt and rubbish at the bottom?

Yes, I know, I'll kill the biomass/organisms etc..but... :-?

Thoughts folks please?
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Re: Rejuvinating your Pond?

Postby Quenda » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:29 am

Do you have any fish in there? If not I would give it a complete clean out and start again. Would be a good idea to make sure no more dirt can get into the pond first though.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Quenda,

Thank you for the reply. :D

Yes, we have about 10 small shabunkins and fantails.

I've cleaned it out before and just placed the fish in a holding tank without issues.

Yes, no point cleaning the pond if I don't fix the cause. (Y)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Quenda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi Colin.

Have you thought about using an algaecide in your pond? May not be something you want to use, but worth a thought as they do the job.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi Quenda,

Again, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have. There is a product available at one of the main retic stores that is very good at killing and maintaining against long strand filamentatious algae (LSFA) - the main culprit. The UV cell keeps all other forms of algae at bay , but the LFSA manages to avoid that because it's not "mobile", that is, it sticks to everything.

But, too much build up of sediment, I believe, has caused an over supply of nutriments in the bottom of the pond.

We are off to Coral Bay for a daughters wedding soon, so will look at it when I get back.

It's not affecting the fish and the water clarity is good, so that's the main thing. :)

Thanks again for the input. :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens