Definitive Proof

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Definitive Proof

Postby ColinM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi All! :D

We've been having a LOT of problems with Kookas steeling our fish, the pole is adjacent to the Pond - it's the framework for a future Arbor and path, down through our tiered rose garden.

OK, it does NOT give me ANY joy to post the following indisputable proof that plastic owls (no matter how many times you move them), DO NOT discourage Kookas! :-@ :lol:

I moved Oscar (the owl, he's not quite Wilde but he's trying - sorry couldn't resist that ornitholocal/literary pun :shock: :lol: :roll: ) only this morning, to the highest point, thinking that this would discourage said Kookas - obviously, the extent to which that did NOT work is within the spectacular scale!
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Re: Definitive Proof

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Take it back for a refund.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:46 am

Whooooo'd have thought that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:28 am

Yes, I just might have to Pam.

..and yes, quite funny really - if this was Mythbusters - it's definately in the BUSTED category! :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 am

I assume putting mesh (or bird netting) over the pond is not an option Colin?

Incidentally, I think you'd find owls probably don't eat kookaburras, so he probably wouldn't be bothered by it even if he did think it was real.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 am

We might consider it Pam - but only as a last resort, from an asthetic point of view.

No, obviously the extent to which the Kooka is bothered by the presence of the owl is, shall we say, somewhat invisible. :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 am

I tried a plastic snake draped over my native bee hive to discourage the willywag from making a meal of them.

It sat on the head and pooped on it.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 pm

It sat on the head and pooped on it.

David Attenborough! Come here!

Teach your wildlife some manners and respect!

Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 am

We have a concrete turtle in the garden. Any time I move it the noisy miners go nuts. lol At some stage I'd come accross a couple of little white ceramic sparrows (or similar) at a garage sale and popped them in the garden - discovered some time later that someone had 'killed' one of them lol.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:29 am

Kookaburras are pretty clever, we were digging and throwing curl grubs into a bucket for the chooks, and Mum held one up to show me how big it was. Then she threw it into the bucket and kept on digging. Next minute, a kookaburra flew down, knocked over the bucket, and flew off with the biggest curl grub there. We were less than a metre away at the time.

ColinM wrote:I moved Oscar (the owl, he's not quite Wilde but he's trying - sorry couldn't resist that ornitholocal/literary pun

Groan!
midgin wrote:Whooooo'd have thought that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Double groan!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby ColinM » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 am

Pam wrote:We have a concrete turtle in the garden. Any time I move it the noisy miners go nuts. lol

That's interesting - I reckon there is a Thesis or a David Attenborough special open on the behaviour between birdsand "garden props" :D

Pam wrote:some stage I'd come accross a couple of little white ceramic sparrows (or similar) at a garage sale and popped them in the garden - discovered some time later that someone had 'killed' one of them lol

:shock: - How do you "kill" an inanimate object Pam :lol:

karyn wrote:Kookaburras are pretty clever, we were digging and throwing curl grubs into a bucket for the chooks, and Mum held one up to show me how big it was. Then she threw it into the bucket and kept on digging. Next minute, a kookaburra flew down, knocked over the bucket, and flew off with the biggest curl grub there. We were less than a metre away at the time.

Wow Karyn! I reckon you are right - VERY clever! :D

..and yes, sorry for the bad puns - really I am :lol:

oh, and sorry midgin - I didn't even get than pun of yours previously :oops: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm

ColinM wrote:How do you "kill" an inanimate object Pam

Someone had turned it over and gutted it Colin. I'm sure they'd have had a sore beak afterwards. :shock:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Wow! :shock: - must have been impressed with the "hardness of the feathers" :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Quenda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:17 am

Darn foreigners.... :evil: :lol:
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 am

Quenda wrote:Darn foreigners.... :evil: :lol:

Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens