Need help resurrecting old pond :)

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Need help resurrecting old pond :)

Postby girldownunder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm

HI everyone- newb here,

I recently moved house & in the rear of the property was this completely overgrown corner. After cutting away most of it, I found a long-ago installed pond- fibreglass, I think. I pulled the black plastic lining out & about four dozen rocks from around & inside of it. I've now cut back some of the bamboo (which used to be in pots because I see where they broke through & got loose) so I'll have a spot to put rocks on top of the new liner.

When I started to dismantle the pond, there were pots in it- and it seems some were under the liner- could this be? There were also rocks in the pond bottom...But since I can't tell what was where correctly (the lining had ripped) I'm not sure the best way to redo it all? I really have no idea what I'm doing...

http://i.imgur.com/F9BiMXV.jpg

The pond looks squished in the photo- but it's actually fine. It measures: 1500 x .9 widest x .5 deep. I bought a solar powered fountain on ebay (to arrive soon) to move the water & for interest. In the photo is a plant I *think* might have been in the pond, but I'm not sure (far left, in a black pot, in the photo). Could someone here tell me if it's a water-plant? The dead bamboo reeds have been pulled & I was thinking I'd make a little lean-to frame & have bought a small roll of plastic net to go over it (to keep leaves & debris from filling the pond as it's under a tree). After that, I was thinking of getting some flat stones to cover the area in front so that you could actually sit in front of the pond- as the old wooden rail ties are rotted away.

I'd love to have some ideas for getting this up & running & beautiful! All I really am shooting for is a plant pond- maybe little mozzie-eater fish if required. It's not an area most see- though it's very pretty. It's off the laundry room (sliding door) & also my son's sliding door of his room (& he couldn't care less- lol). But it's nice for me to go out to & I'd love to see life around it eventually.

So basically, any & all ideas are most welcome- especially good & sturdy plants that help filter the water & are straight-forward to keep healthy.

Ta!

Tracy
soma.com/lush : Listener-supported, commercial-free, internet radio
girldownunder
Apprentice

Re: Need help resurrecting old pond :)

Postby Quenda » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 am

Hello Tracy..welcome.. :D
I think this is the plant in the pot....Cyperus - papyrus - alternifolius It can be placed in the water, but have the top of the pot just under water level.

Wondering why the pond would have a liner...if it is fibreglass, maybe it leaks? If so you would need to put in a new liner. You can use ordinary black plastic, that is the cheapest option, but you can also get pond liner from a pond supply store. This liner is much more flexible and should last about 25 years. I wouldn't put rocks in the pond.

Fish....now days you should be able to get some suitable fish from a pet/fish shop. Western Pygmy Perch are a good local native fish that you can use, White Cloud Mountain Minnows are another. Goldfish would also be ok...if you don't want to have frogs breeding. I see you live in Mandurah so I would advise something in the pond to control the mozzies.

Plants...quite a range now available at the "B" store... :wink:

Solar Fountain...the solar panel needs to be in direct sunlight to work.

That is going to be a fantastic spot once you have it sorted.... (Y)

Good luck.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 am

Hi Tracy.

I'm wondering whether the liner was possibly simply to hide that horendous colour? It might be worth trying to put some water in to check whether it does in fact leak?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby girldownunder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 am

HI Quenda & Pam,

RE: liner.

It may be leaking or it may be the hideous colour- lol. I'd concur that black plastic would be a definite step-up in the looks dept. I already bought the cheap liner on advice from the B'ings guy. It's a builders plastic, but it says, "pond liner" right on it. I was going to double it up to be safe.

The reason I was going to place some stones into the pond was to allow for differing levels of plant pots to go in. I thought that was a common thing to do to create levels? Obviously there won't be many- the pond isn't huge...

Lastly, yes, that does look like the plant I found hanging onto dear life- lol... I did have a look at B'ings when I was buying the plastic & found many water plants there. I was hoping someone here could elaborate why you'd prefer/not prefer certain plants (ie, they take over, or they die out easily, etc).

Ta!
soma.com/lush : Listener-supported, commercial-free, internet radio
girldownunder
Apprentice

Postby Quenda » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:17 am

Hello Tracy.
I wouldn't use rocks in a pond to raise the plants as rocks tend to have rough/sharp edges, use bricks and place them carefully, the pop the pot on top. I have done that without and problems...but make sure you don't drag the brick/s across the liner.
The liner you bought will be fine, just not as flexible as pond liner.

There are so many pond plants available now, if you can tell us any you are interested in we could (hopefully) tell you what we know about them. I have a limited amount of room in my pond that receives sun, so I only have one water lily, a Water Hibiscus and several Louisiana Iris in it. In my shaded pond I have a Lizard Tail. The only plant that comes to mind that I would avoid is Nardoo. For a small pond I would stick to things that don't spread much and stay in the pot.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Pam wrote:Hi Tracy.

I'm wondering whether the liner was possibly simply to hide that horendous colour? It might be worth trying to put some water in to check whether it does in fact leak?

Hi Tracey

That was my thoughts too Pam. Agree with the others - bricks would be a better option than rocks. You could of course Tracy dispense with the FB liner and just use the PVC liner - that way you could restructure the hole to create levels for shallower aquatic plants and marginal (bog) plants - just an idea.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens