Aquaponics Anyone??

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Aquaponics Anyone??

Postby kitacooch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:12 am

Hi there peeps, just wondering if anyone here does or is thinking about Aquaponics? My Aquaponics system is now maturing so my efforts of late have been going into the dirt garden but the Aquaponics is exciting and am happy to assist anyone who has any questions.
Couple pics of my system. The Grow beds are filled with pebbles.

Oh and Aquaponics in brief uses fish poop to feed plants utilising bacteria to convert Amonia into Nitrite and then into Nitrates. Its a closed circuit system with no waste what so ever, no chemicals are used as they would kill the fish. This is NOT Hydroponics where chemical nutrients are used and regular water changes are required and so polluting the environment.
Attachments
AP 29.03.14_003.jpeg
AP 29.03.14_002.jpeg
AP 29.03.14_001.jpeg
Last edited by kitacooch on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
kitacooch
Pruner

Re: Aquaponics Anyone??

Postby kitacooch » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:13 am

This is DWC, so the Lettuces in the background are growing in Vermiculite in cups which are sitting in water. The bath tub in front is Duck weed, for fish food.
Attachments
AP 29.03.14_004.jpeg
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby Pam » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:48 am

Hubby has been wanting to try it for a few years, but has never gotten around to it.

My concern with such a system is that with a closed system such as that though is that you'd surely not be getting many of the trace elements in your crops???

I realise this is probably also the case with most of the mass produced produce bought from the shops, however.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitacooch » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Pam, its not completely closed circuit, we use several natural products to add trace elements, for e.g we add, chelated iron, lime, potassium carbonate, calcium through shell grit, seasol is also used along with other various kelp and seaweed extracts. I also add slow release water garden trace nutrient blocks. The fish food we use is high quality and designed for Aquponics, it designed with the knowledge that the poop is being converted to nutrient rich plant food. I grow in dirt as well to ensure i am getting some sort of balance, but also some plants grow better in the dirt, others grow better in the AP's and some do just as well in either.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby Quenda » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Something I wouldn't have minded trying some years ago, doubt I will now, but I do think it an excellent way to produce ones food.

What sort of fish do you have in your system?
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby kitacooch » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:51 am

I have 160 Jade Perch and about 50 yabbies, but you can farm all kinds perch, barra, trout, cod etc however perch are an easy bullet proof option.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby Pam » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 am

kitacooch wrote: we add, chelated iron, lime, potassium carbonate, calcium through shell grit, seasol is also used along with other various kelp and seaweed extracts. I also add slow release water garden trace nutrient blocks.

Is the vast majority of that incorporated into your growing media, or in the water, Kitacooch?

And are the square cages where you have the fish?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitacooch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Pam, the square cages are called IBC's, and yes the 2 full IBC's are 2 separate fish tanks. There is another smaller tank on top for raising fingerling to a size suitable to add with existing larger fish.
The minerals are generally added to the Grow Beds by sprinkling over the media next to the water inlet. We add sea shells and or egg shells for calcium and buffering up ph, this is done by adding them to a sock and digging them into a grow bed or hanging in the sump if you have one. Seasol is just added to the water and believe it or not there are heaps of worms in those grow beds, they love it and are used to break down left over matter such as roots, leaves etc and any fish solids that make it past the flow filters. The flow filters are the new edition (the white buckets next to the fish tanks) and i drain them weekly and use the water on my dirt gardens and wicking beds.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby Pam » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 am

kitacooch wrote: the square cages are called IBC's, and yes the 2 full IBC's are 2 separate fish tanks. There is another smaller tank on top for raising fingerling to a size suitable to add with existing larger fish.

I hope you don't mind the 1001 questions Kitacooch. I was reading on an aquaculture page yesterday that the jade perch don't like the temperatures to go down below about 16 degrees. Does the time during winter that it actually does drop below that bother them, or do you have it heated? And with that number of fish in there, do/will they actually grow to plate size, or will it limit their growth?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitacooch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Pam questions are fine, thats why i created the post, to help spread the word on this interesting and increasingly popular method of growing. I am based in QLD so water temps are not a huge issue for me,16 to a whopping 40 degrees is about right, Jades get sleepy when it gets cold and slow down a lot, that is why i have so many. In the summer when they are active i feed them according to nutrient levels so having that stocking density is fine. My main purpose is harvesting vegetables not fish. In aquaculture stocking densities up to 1 fish per 10l of fish tank volume is considered acceptable but in aquaponics we tend to be more conservative with a common stocking density of 1 fish per 20l. I am on the high side of stocking density but i have a massive sump system so each of my 1000l fish tanks are moving about 2500l of water, additionally 100 of the perch are only 80mm long, and the other 60 are about 150 to 200mm long. So by the time the smaller ones are coming of size i will be eating the larger ones.
The larger fish will be of harvest size soon, and will easily reach 750g to 1kg at which point their growth will slow quite a bit.
Tanks can be heated if you want but its an added cost and a larger carbon footprint. Cooler areas do insulate exposed tanks and i will probably insulate mine soon to help with a more consistent temp range.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby Quenda » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I presume the livestock are for eating?
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby kitacooch » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:05 am

Hi, yes they are although i am a fisherman and prefer salt water fish for eating but i will be eating the perch also.
kitacooch
Pruner

Return to Water Gardens